CLARA

CLARA'S POV

*Beep*
*Beep*

My alarm clock suddenly rang with a piercing urgency, jolting me awake from a deep, relaxing slumber. I fumbled with my sheets to get one of my hands out and silence the blaring noise.

I managed it and pulled my hand back into the warmth of my bed. My eyelids, still heavy from sleep, struggled to open against the early morning light. As I emerged from the comforting embrace of my warm bed sheets, anticipation coursed through me.

It was the day of my interview.

I had been awaiting this day ever since I had proudly walked across the stage at X University to receive my diploma. This marked the completion of my bachelor’s degree in Fashion and Design. And in further preparation for getting a new job, I relocated to an apartment in the nearby bustling city.

But now, as the big day dawned, I was fueled by an unwavering ambition to secure a position at the largest apparel company in the city, F & B Enterprises.

The sage advice of my adoptive mother echoed in my mind, a beacon of unwavering support throughout my life. It was to persevere against all odds and never give up, no matter the challenges. This was my chance to prove myself, and I was determined to seize it with both hands.

A short while later, I stood before my large mirror, considering a fashionable yet appropriate outfit for the interview. I wanted to exude the perfect balance of professionalism and confidence.

After careful deliberation, I had my choice. A casual yet elegant white blouse with ¾ length sleeves, a sleek, knee-length black skirt, and a tailored black jacket.

After dressing and settling on matching black heels, I stood before the mirror, admiring my reflection. A confident smile curved across my lips.

I was proud of my appearance—I possessed a natural beauty that doesn't required any makeup. But the feature I held closest to my heart was my brown eyes. My adopted mother had often admired their captivating allure, and I knew they’d be my secret weapon in the interview.

My adoptive parents had nurtured and guided me since I was ten when they welcomed me into their hearts. Over the last few years, they’ve showered me with unconditional love, treating me as their flesh and blood. This forged a strong, unbreakable bond between us, one that would eventually shape the person I’d become today.

The clock struck seven as I meticulously finished eating the breakfast I had prepared for myself. I then realized I needed to leave early to catch a bus to the F&B building for the interview.

So, with a sudden surge of adrenaline, I bolted out the door of my apartment, determined not to miss my opportunity.

Yet, fate seemed to conspire against me. 

The bus I had usually relied on for transportation had arrived much earlier than expected, mocking my valiant efforts to be ready on time.

Crestfallen, I checked my worn-out wristwatch, wondering why the universe had chosen today to challenge me. Frustration gnawed at my resolve as I stomped over to a bench.

I was so disappointed. I had woken up early to make sure I was adequately prepared for today’s interview, yet I still managed to miss the bus. But I was determined to get there on time. I rummaged through my black Michael Kors handbag and carefully examined the amount of cash I had on hand.

After counting it, a heavy sigh escaped my lips, and I investigated the road, reluctantly contemplating calling for a taxi. However, the bus had always held a certain charm for me.