Chapter 1: First Place Has Consequences

"How many do you think are up there?" Asked Callie with her arms spread out on the soft grass, starfish style.

Marie, who was lying a few feet next to her, stared up at the glistening stars. "Where did we stop counting yesterday? Three thousand?" She looked over to face her cousin, whose eyes squinted.

Callie seemed to be deep in thought, pondering, or rather, trying to remember how many stars they counted the day prior. "Let's say four thousand!" Callie grinned, which made Marie join in with her own. They both went back to stargazing, wondering just how many stars were up above their heads.

The night was chilly, but not chilly enough to keep the two from being outside. Had it not been for the lingering excitement spurred on by what happened earlier, Marie would've clocked out ages ago.

Marie rested both hands on her chest as she thought about today's events. "Tonight was great." She murmured.

"No, you were great!" Callie complimented. "The people wouldn't stop cheering!" she laughed, which made Marie chuckle.

The Youth-Folk Singing Contest. It was a new experience for them both. They only ever sang to each other, so it wasn't like they could gauge how good they were. Honestly, Marie still isn't sure how she got wrapped up in it. She would've rather been at home, sleeping in her comfy bed. But surprisingly, she had... fun. Having a whole crowd of people cheer for her was reinvigorating. She didn't believe they were that good, and she certainly didn't expect to win first place.

It left her restless. Even after they went home for the night, Marie found the energy to drag Callie out to their favorite hill to stargaze. She didn't even give themselves a chance to change first, as they still wore the same kimonos they performed in. Not that Callie minded; counting the stars was their favorite way to pass the time. They did it almost every night. Plus, her kimono was comfy.

"I'd like to do it again sometime," Marie admitted. A soft smile stuck to her face as the gentle wind blew over her. The joy of finding something better than counting stars was a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Marie interlocked her fingers as she stared at the nighttime sky. She wasn't even counting the stars at this point. Instead, she was just looking up, wondering what would be next for her and Callie. Great things, she hoped.

"Hey, Callie, how many stars have you counted?" She questioned, wondering if her cousin had been keeping track. There was a long moment of silence as Marie waited for a response. When it became too long, her brows furrowed.

No way she fell asleep on me again! Callie falling asleep mid-conversation happened frequently on nights, especially when they stargazed. She turned her head, already reaching out to shake her cousin awake. Her hand touched the arm of something pitch-black, and her vision was met with green, hollowed eyes staring down at her.

Marie's gaze shifted down, seeing the strange entity had Callie in an arm-lock. "Brooke!" The entity boomed.

Marie had been processing everything that was happening, but when the situation finally clicked for her, she jumped back in fear. Before she could scream, someone or something from behind grabbed her mouth and wrapped an arm around her neck.

They were choking her... they were choking her! When she realized this, she tried everything to break free from the restricting appendages. Everything but transforming. Then again, it wasn't like she could do it on command. She and Callie got their 'kid' forms earlier than most inklings do; she wasn't used to it yet.

As she kicked and tried to wrestle herself free, she watched as her cousin had gone limp, no longer resisting the first entity's grasp. "Brooke!" It said again, their voice much more masculine than she initially thought. "Quit playing around and put her to sleep!" He demanded.

"I'm trying!" A new voice said, coming from the person trying to suffocate her. Their voice was not as loud as the other, but it scared Marie nonetheless.

"Y'know what, I'll do it." The pitch-black entity let go of Callie's body, gradually approaching Marie and the person holding her.

Marie's captor loosened their grip for a brief moment, allowing her to bust free. She didn't get far at all, as she was quickly stopped by the first entity fiercely grabbing her neck. She choked out a small whimpered gasp. This captor's grip was incredibly tight, much tighter than the second's.

"Sweet dreams," was the last thing Marie heard as she stared into the person's bright green eyes. Then, she saw a speeding fist head towards her face, only to be engulfed by searing pain and complete darkness.