Chapter 1

As Severus Snape lay on the cold hard floor near the brink of death, he wished for something he thought was impossible. What was his wish you ask? To change everything from the beginning. He saw a white light and began approaching it, then he felt a hand softly grabbing his. He turned around and saw Her. Her red hair cascading, beautiful green eyes staring gently at him, full lips twisting into a smile. 

'Lily.' Severus breathed out, his eyes started to prickle with unshed tears at the sight of his once best friend.

'Hi, Severus.' and she wrapped her arms him.

'I-I'm sorry.' was the first thing he choked out.

'For what?'

'The part I played in your death. You couldn't see your son grow up. I'm sorry.' he repeated.

'Severus, everyone's made mistakes in their lives, yeah, maybe some are more serious than others but... What I'm trying to say is, you've made up for those mistakes by protecting my son and because of this, I forgive you.''

'I do not deserve your forgiveness, I should have listened to you, I shouldn't have joined the Death Eaters, I shouldn't have hung out with those shady people, I shouldn't have practised the dark arts as much as I did, and I shouldn't have told the Dark Lord about the prophecy.'

Lily stopped hugging him and looked into the man's eyes. 'Severus, you certainly do deserve my forgiveness, you've devoted your entire adult life to helping Harry defeat Voldemort, you have gone through more than anyone have, you need to understand that.'

Silence came after that before Severus blurted out, 'Do you know if the light side won or not?'

'Yes, they won. Harry killed Him. But both sides faced huge losses.'

Severus gave a sigh at that, both because of sadness as he remembered his fallen comrades and relief because they finally got avenged.

'Where am I right now?' 

'Severus, you are in between the worlds of living and death. I am here to give you the choices to go back in time and change the fates of everyone or to go to Heaven with me. Please choose carefully, this will change a lot of things as I am sure you understand.' 

She could basically hear the clinks and clonks of Severus's mind working, trying to decide, 'I choose to go back, I need to make things right this time.'

'I'm glad, Sev.'

Sev, a nickname that Lily had been calling Severus ever since they became friends, how he missed it, no one except Lily was allowed to call him that. He gave her a small smile.

'I'm afraid this is goodbye. Remember who you are doing this for.'

'Always.'

And everything went pitch black, he faintly heard a little voice, one that belonged child, 'Sev, Sev, wake up.' he opened his eyes and again found Lily Evans staring back at him.

'Finally, did you not get any sleep last night too?'

Severus didn't know what to say, he felt the familiar fabric of the Hogwarts Express car seats, heard the whistle of the train and smelt the snack trolley even when the door of their compartment was closed. He took a deep breath to calm himself and replied, 'Yeah, I didn't get much sleep, was too excited about going to Hogwarts.'

He remembered that the night before boarding the train, his father had beat him without any mercy, he could feel the bruises and scars and injuries on his body.

Suddenly, the door was slammed open and two rowdy boys, one holding a large pile of snacks, came in chatting comically, Lily frowned at them, clearly not pleased with their rude behavior, but Severus reminded himself that he had to try to not make them hate him and bully him for the rest of their time at Hogwarts, he had already planned to act like a nice, smart, innocent kid and to not attract any unwanted attention.