Chapter 3

Emerald picked up her skirts and walked up the dungeon stairs, the words Aeris said to her sticking to her brain like glue. The people thought she was a horrible person. Her Grand Debut will be for nothing if rumors were already circulating about her. Her little fox scampered up to her feet and she bent down and picked her up. "Hello, Harial." The creature brought a small smile to her face. But not for long because her intrusive thoughts returned.

A small tear ran down her cheek and she walked to her room, laying on the bed, her dress spreading out to the sides of her body, her hair doing the same. She just closed her eyes and slammed her pillow into her face, screaming wildly into it. Her heart hurt just a teeny tiny bit after being told that people thought she was a horrible person. At least she didn't think she was. She had always thought she went out of her way to be nice. Maybe people thought of it as mockery and deceit. But it wasn't that, though.

Tomorrow night was huge for her and her family. They would be put on display like little dolls in a dollhouse of sorts. It would be her eighteenth birthday and the same day she would be presented in front of her court. It was the one and only opportunity to make a standing impression on her people for the very first time. How was she supposed to present herself if they all thought horribly of her.

It would be impossible to postpone. The only thing they were waiting on was her dress. All the invites were sent out, food was being prepared. Anxiety rose to her chest when she thought of all the courts that would be there.

The Ice Fey, the Goblins, the Ogres, the Water Fey, the Flower Fey, everyone would be there. And for the first time in centuries, the Unseelie were invited to roam the streets of the Seelie court for one night and one night only. She had to be perfect in every sense. If she wasn't, it would completely tarnish her family's reputation.

"So much to think about," she whispered. "And so little time to think about it."

"Is that how you really feel about all this?" A familiar voice said.

Emerald sat straight up and smiled widely, "Nefeli!" She ran to her and wrapped her arms tightly around her sister. "You're here!"

"How could I miss my baby sister's special day?"

The grin on Ema's face spread ever wider until she noticed something off about her sister. The entirety of her eye, her whites, her iris, everything, was bathed in a saturated black. "Nefeli?"

"But unfortunately, you'll have to miss it as well."

"Nef, let me go, you're hurting me." Her grip on Emerald grew tighter with every passing moment. "Let go!"

Before long, the intruder bells began to ring and Nefeli grinned impishly. "Do you know why I left?"

"To explore the mortal world!"

"Wrong, Emerald. God, I thought after four years, you would be a lot smarter. No, I was exiled. Because I figured out who I really am. And after the rest of the family found out, they were repulsed. But what I am is completely natural. Because Naida is, too. Only she doesn't show it. It was you, actually, who helped me figure out who I am. And what I can do."

"What is it, then? What are you?"

"Baby, poor, sweet, innocent little Emerald. Naida and I are half Unseelie. And unlike my dear twin, I am capable of bringing that portion out. But the whole Unseelie court wants your head. I love you, but I have to comply, baby sister."

The door burst open and the prisoner, Aeris tackled Nefeli to the ground, hissing at her.

Nefeli shrieked and started clawing at him, tearing at the boys' sleeves and skins. Iridescent silver blood leaked over the cuts, betraying his looks for what he truly was. That and his inked skin didn't do anything to discern his Unseelie nature.