Chapter 4: The Merry Band

Author's Note: There is fencing in here. No violence, but if anyone isn't comfortable with reading about swords then this chapter should be skipped. Also, the antagonists of this chapter are pretty chauvinistic and aggressive, as they want to kidnap princesses. No actual kidnapping, it's just mentioned, and these antagonists are framed in a negative light. Despite that, if anyone is uncomfortable with that then this chapter should be skipped. The edgy content of this fanfiction is very mild and nothing bad actually happens but I do not want the sheer mention of this to shock anyone without expecting to see that content in general. However, this is for a general audience, so I've decided to do an author's note about this.

-if you do decide to read this chapter, if you are comfortable with the fencing and cursed antagonists, then please scroll down to read the author's notes at the end because there is some important stuff you need to know.

Hugh woke up about three hours later, and stretched. He felt refreshed, yet also surprised he successfully slept while piloting. He didn't mind though, considering he was well rested.

He looked up at Mik who was sitting across him keeping to himself and reading a newspaper. He assumed he was reading something about horse races as usual so he just ignored him, being incurious.

He got on his knees and twisted around and looked over at Melvyn's seat so he could properly look down there and to his surprise, Melvyn wasn't in his seat.

Where in the world did that fool go? he thought to himself, very weirded out and a little concerned about his missing friend.

Meanwhile, Melvyn was at the end of a plane behind a seat. He was gazing at a loaf of bread at the last seat on the right, and he crouched down at the left so it was in front of him.

Wow, that looks... beautiful! Melvyn thought to himself, taking it all in. He honestly was a little hungry again.

So Hugh decided to scan the plane, and unsurprised he saw a young, thin white man all the way down wearing a white t-shirt with navy blue stripes on it with feathery auburn hair.

Oh, of course, he thought disgruntled.

And so the younger cellist walked all the way down to meet the older one, and just stood there staring at him.

Melvyn, hearing his footsteps, felt someone staring at him and he looked up and jumped.

"Hugh!! UM— I-it's n-not what it looks like! I swear!" Melvyn cried, flustered, scared and embarrassed. Hugh crossed his arms and looked at him, confused and a bit creeped out.

"W-what? Why say that?" He asked.

Melvyn inhaled.

"Oh!! Well you see, when you were asleep, I decided to go for a walk to stretch my legs and to digest my meal, and I did that back and forth for hours. And then I got a little hungry again since I burned so much energy. And then... it... appeared... this.... gorgeous loaf of bread... I love it so... so much..." Melvyn replied, getting closer to the loaf and picking it up.

Just then, a voice boomed.

"WHAT ARE YE DOING IN MAH SWAMP???" it cried angrily.

Melvyn and Hugh, both startled, turned to face a large, tall, chartreuse ogre.

"W-wha...?" Hugh muttered, confused.

"SHREK???" Melvyn shrieked, terrified.

"Yes, it is I, Shrek! Now get out of the plane before I—"