Chapter 3: Everfree's Secret

In the serene quiet of Twilight Sparkle's library in Ponyville, the Saviour sat hunched over a book, her brow furrowed in concentration. The shelves were lined with tomes on magic, history, and countless other subjects, but none of them seemed to hold the answers she sought. Her journey through the text had brought her to a repeated point, an unsettling word that seemed to halt her progress at every turn: "traitor."

Frustration gnawed at her as she reread the same passage for what felt like the hundredth time. The context eluded her, the memories of her past experiences fragmented and distorted in this unfamiliar universe. It was as though an insidious fog had settled over her memories, obscuring crucial details and leaving her with only fragments of the truth.

As the Saviour muttered to herself, the sound of hoofsteps drew nearer, and the library's door creaked open. Twilight Sparkle entered, her expression a mix of curiosity and concern.

"Hey there, Saviour. What are you reading?" Twilight asked, attempting to sound casual as she approached.

The Saviour's gaze remained fixed on the page, her voice laced with frustration. "Trying to piece together mah past. But it's like mah knowledge hits a wall every time ah reach a certain point."

Twilight's eyes flickered with a hint of unease, but she quickly masked it with a reassuring smile. "Oh, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Memories can be tricky sometimes."

The Saviour's eyes narrowed as she looked up at Twilight. "It's more than that, Twilight. Every memory, every adventure, they all seem to converge on this word: 'traitor.' And then, it's like mah mind goes blank."

Twilight's attempt to hide her unease faltered, her gaze shifting slightly. "Traitor? Well, sometimes our minds fixate on certain things for no apparent reason. It doesn't necessarily mean anything significant."

The Saviour's frustration boiled over as she closed the book with a sharp thud. "Don't try to dismiss this, Twilight. Ah've faced countless challenges, saved civilizations, battled enemies, and yet all of it stops at this word. Something's not right, and ah can tell yer hiding something."

Twilight's eyes widened for a moment before she composed herself. "Saviour, you're reading too much into it. There's no need to jump to conclusions."

The Saviour's eyes bore into Twilight's, her voice unwavering. "Yer lying. Ah can see it in your eyes. There's a truth yer not telling me, and ah demand to know what it is."

Twilight sighed, her facade crumbling. "Fine, you want the truth? You're right, there's more to this than meets the eye. But it's complicated, Saviour. It's not something I can just explain in a few words."

The Saviour leaned in, her tone firm. "Try me, Twilight. Ah've faced the unknown countless times. Ah've taken on enemies that threatened the very fabric of reality. Whatever it is, ah can handle it."

Twilight's shoulders slumped, defeat evident in her expression. "Alright. But promise me you'll stay calm."

The Saviour nodded, her determination unwavering. "Ah promise."

Twilight took a deep breath before finally speaking. "The word 'traitor'... it's tied to something significant in our history. Something that changed Equestria forever. But to tell you the full story, I need to take you to the heart of the Everfree Forest. There, I can show you the truth."

The Saviour's curiosity was piqued, but her skepticism remained. "And why should ah trust ya now, when yer been hiding this from me?"

Twilight met the Saviour's gaze, her own eyes filled with a mix of regret and determination. "Because, Saviour, the truth is the only way to make sense of the chaos that surrounds us now. If you truly want to understand, then come with me."

The Saviour hesitated for a moment before nodding slowly. It was a leap of faith, trusting Twilight to guide her through the enigmatic truths that had remained shrouded in secrecy. As they prepared to venture into the depths of the Everfree Forest, the Saviour knew that the answers she sought might come at a cost she couldn't yet foresee.

Deep within the heart of the Everfree Forest, the Saviour followed Twilight's lead. The tension in the air was palpable as they ventured into the unknown, the weight of unanswered questions pressing down on them both. Finally, they arrived at a clearing, where an unexpected sight awaited them.

There, nestled within the forest, stood a familiar sight - the Saviour's TARDIS. Or, at least, a version of it. The exterior was a red police box from Glasgow, larger than the Saviour's usual TARDIS and eerily silent. The lights that usually adorned the exterior were dim, and an aura of stagnation surrounded it.

 The lights that usually adorned the exterior were dim, and an aura of stagnation surrounded it

The Saviour's eyes widened as she took in the sight. "Mah TARDIS... but it's like it's dying."

Twilight's voice was heavy as she spoke. "It's been this way since the humans attacked. Since they killed him."

Confusion gnawed at the Saviour's mind. "Killed who?"

With a somber expression, Twilight motioned for the Saviour to enter the TARDIS. Hesitantly, the Time Lord stepped inside, only to find herself engulfed in a familiar interior. The console room looked exactly as it had during her second regeneration – the hexagonal walls, the wooden console, and the faint hum of the TARDIS's systems.

The Saviour's eyes widened as she took in the surroundings. "This is... the interior from mah second regeneration. How is this possible?"

Twilight's voice held a weight of sorrow as she explained. "This universe's version of you, the Time Lord who fought alongside Equestria during the ongoing war with the humans, he was killed. The humans saw him as a traitor, someone who allied with ponies instead of humanity. He was working to find a peaceful resolution, but they saw him as a threat."

The words hit the Saviour like a bolt of lightning. Her counterpart, the version of herself from this universe, had been killed. The implications of such a reality were overwhelming. Her eyes welled with a mixture of grief and disbelief.

"Why? Why would they do that? He was trying to save lives, to find a way to end the conflict," the Saviour's voice trembled with a mixture of anger and sadness.

Twilight's gaze was empathetic, her own eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "Fear can make people do terrible things. The humans saw him as a traitor, as a human who was betraying his own kind to help us. In their eyes, he was a threat to their survival."

As the weight of the truth settled upon the Saviour's shoulders, she felt a rush of emotions. The universe she now stood in was a shattered mirror of her own, a place where her counterpart had met a tragic end due to circumstances beyond his control. The implications of his death, and the choices that had led to this fractured reality, hung heavily in the air.

"This can't be real. This can't be the truth," the Saviour whispered, her voice tinged with anguish.

Twilight placed a comforting hoof on the Saviour's shoulder. "I wish it wasn't. But facing the truth is the first step to understanding the reality we're in."

The Saviour's mind was a whirlwind of emotions – grief for her fallen counterpart, anger at the humans who had taken his life, and a profound sense of displacement in this new universe. The answers she had sought were more complex than she could have imagined, and the journey ahead was filled with challenges she had yet to fathom.