Chapter 43: A Fractured Love

Leah Gray's POV

The soft glow of the evening sun bathed our living room in a warm, golden hue.  I sat on the plush couch, gently cradling my growing baby bump, my heart heavy with uncertainty.  On the outside, the world seemed to be moving at breakneck speed, but on the inside, my world was engulfed in a storm of emotions.

  Toto was my rock, my confidant and my love.  We had weathered life's storms together, but lately our relationship had been strained by Toto's relentless dedication to work. I was five months pregnant and the weight of impending motherhood was weighing on me with each passing day.  Now hell I needed him more than ever, but he seemed to be slipping away, disappearing into the relentless demands of his job.

Today he exactly promised me that today he will come home early, we will have dinner together and spend time together. Lately I have had dinner alone because Toto we always come home very late

  The clock on the wall counted down the minutes, each second ticking off my growing impatience.  I had waited for Toto to arrive Yet the minutes turned into hours and my calls and messages went unanswered.

  Finally, at midnight, the door opened and Toto walked in, his face lined with exhaustion from another long day at the office.  My heart sank at the sight of him.  I expected his late arrival, but the disappointment still ate away.

  "Toto, we need to talk" I said with a slightly trembling voice.

  He looked at me with tired eyes, frowning.  “Can't it wait Leah?  I've had an incredibly busy day and I just need a moment to relax.'

  I sighed, my patience running out.  "Toto, every day is the same. You're always too busy, too tired, too stressed. I'm five months pregnant and I need you here with me. I need your support, your love, your time."

Toto ran a hand through his tousled hair, clearly torn between his demanding career and me
   “Leah, you know how important my work is.  I'm responsible for so many people and the pressure is huge."

  Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to control my emotions.  "I understand that, Toto, but what about us? What about our baby? I can't do this alone. I need you to be present, to be a father, to be a partner."

  He sighed heavily, his shoulders slumping.  “I know Leah and I want to be there for you and the baby but right now I just can't give you the time you deserve.  Things will get better after this season is over, I promise."

  I wiped away a tear and took a deep breath.  I know I can't keep waiting for promises that may never be fulfilled.

   "Toto, I can't go on living like this, feeling neglected and alone. I feel like a single mother.. I've decided it's best for both of us to separate."

  Toto's eyes widened and he took a step closer with a pleading voice.  "Leah, please don't do this. I love you and I love our baby. I will make it up to you, I promise."

"Lea, my love, don't let your emotions decide for you"

  He continued But I had made up my mind.  I couldn't bear the heartache of a relationship that felt more like a distant memory than a vivid present.

  “Toto, I love you too, but love is more than words.  It's about action, and right now your actions speak louder than anything you say.  I have to do what's best for me and our baby.'

  It's the first time I've seen Toto so disappointed and hurt when he realized the seriousness of my decision.  He reached out to touch me, but I pulled away, the pain in my eyes mirroring his.  With one last look, I turned away, leaving Toto standing alone in the fading light, a broken man from a broken love.

  As I walked away my heart was heavy with grief, I couldn't help but wonder if I was making the right decision.  But for the sake of my unborn child and my own well-being, I knew it was a decision she had to make.  The road ahead would be difficult, but for now I had to walk alone.