★ chapter 3: the mall rats ★

i awoke the next morning to a bunch of static in my ear.

"hello? hello? how the hell does this damn thing work?!" i heard a voice whisper-yell as i groggily looked around my room. i saw my older brother, jonathan, crouching down near my nightstand, fiddling with my walkie-talkie.

i groaned. it's too early for this.

"what the hell are you doing with that, jonathan?" i angrily grunted while snatching the walkie from his hands.

"i was woken up by some stupid boyfriend of yours that kept talking nonstop through the damn thing. it was so annoying so i tried to say something back but i accidentally got to lucas instead of mike." he explained with folded arms.

i threw my head back on the pillow.

"you must've switched the channel. stop messing with my stuff and stay out of my room."

"then tell your dumb boyfriend to stop calling at 7:30 in the morning!" he exclaimed then stormed out of my room. i decided to call mike back and see if he would respond.

i flipped through the walkie's channels,"mike? do you copy? over."

...

i waited for a bit, just static.

"hello?" i said once more.

i was about to shove the antenna back down, until a voice rang through.

"will? shit, finally! get sleep, sleeping beauty?" he taunted.

"yeah, yeah, what do you want? do you realize how early it is?" i asked while fidgeting with my watch.

"uhm- yeah, sorry about that. i just wanted to know if you'd be down to come to mine today? me, you, and lucas?" he questioned. i could hear his stupid smirk through the walkie-talkie.

i pretended to think for a minute. "why so early? something going on?" i curiously asked.

"curiosity killed the cat, y'know." mike stated. i rolled my eyes. "but yeah, kinda. lucas has been saying something's been up with max, el too. she's been ignoring me for some reason lately. he says they've been acting weird. so we're tryna find out what's up." mike answered

"hm, alright. but yeah, sure. i'll come over. i just gotta change and eat breakfast. be over soon." i replied.

"yep. see you then. over and out." mike ended, then i heard static on my end.

i closed the walkie's antenna, then got up to get ready for the day.

♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡

i knocked on the door of the wheeler's residence. i waited for a couple seconds before nancy opened the door.

"oh, hey will! what's up?" she greeted.

"not much. you?" i said, making small talk.

"actually, much! me and jonathan have been following these cases for 'rabid rats' around town. it's gonna make one hell of a story. i think i'll make star reporter soon!" nancy excitedly explained.

"'rabid rats', huh? interesting! i'm sure you'll crack the case, nancy drew." i joked.

nancy giggled, then let me in.

i heard noise from the basement, so that's where i went.

down there i saw mike pacing back and forth, lucas sitting on the edge of the couch.

"she know's i'm lying. she know's i'm lying." mike blatantly stated.

"i don't even understand, why lie?" lucas piped up.