Chapter 6

"Are you okay?" Jovie was startled to see Daniel outside of her house after months of not seeing him. Hindi niya maiwasang kabahan. Sure, there isn't something to talk about. Mas kinutuban siya na isa lang ang pakay nito. No other than their daughter, Raninya.

She let him inside her house. Daniel's eyes roamed around for a minute before looking at her again. Dahil malapit siya sa hanging shelf, pasimple niyang binaba ang picture frame na may litrato nila noon. Wala nang mas nakakahiya pa kung makita ito ng lalaki. 

"Is there something wrong?" Jovie asked. She is nervous about the possibilities but she is also scared that someone might see Daniel entering her house. At the end of the day, Daniel is the guardian of her student. Hindi ito maganda sa mata ng publiko. 

"Can you help me this time?" Daniel said, tone weaker and eyes pleading. Napakurap siya. He needs me?

He explained everything. From the start. She couldn't help but burst into tears. She thought all this time.. everything's fine. The worst is, she was never there in the first place. Sa mga panahong inilaan niya ang buong oras sa pagiging guro, sa pagtuturo sa mga bata, sa mga oras rin pala na iyon ay naghihirap ang anak niya.

In front of Daniel, she broke down so bad that she can't seem to find the nerve to even move. With all the things she learned from Daniel, the only thing she could do was to cry.

Raninya, her lovely daughter, has been suffering with heart failure since she was 6 years old. Raninya's 7 now and she has been battling with the illness since then. Daniel needs her, because the only thing that would make Rania consent the treatment is once she met her mother. Si Jovie.

Jovie felt that she's a failure again. Paanong hindi nya nakita sa bata na may sakit ito? Sa ilang buwang pagiging guro ni Rania, hindi nya man lang napansin na nahihirapan ito. How could she not recognize the pain of her child?

"We went home mainly for her to meet you. She knew from the start that you are her mother. I'm sorry for making it seems that she doesn't recognize you. I just don't wanna rush things. I also want Rania to slowly get to know you in her own little ways, " Daniel said. Hawak nito ang balikat ni Jovie para hindi ito tuluyang bumagsak sa pwesto.

Jovie got more emotional. Mas lalong lumakas ang iyak niya. Siya nga itong may kasalanan. Siya nga itong nang-iwan. Siya ang wala sa mga panahong kailangan siya ni Rania.

Why he needs to apologize? It makes her more feel bad. A hundred times. Jovie hopes Daniel could hate her, loathe her.. why is he comforting her now?

"Bakit hindi ka galit?" Hindi na napigilang itanong ni Jovie sa lalaki. Hindi na niya namalayang mahigpit na pala ang hawak nya sa damit ng lalaki. Patuloy parin ang masaganang pagbuhos ng luha niya.

Daniel sighed and wiped her tears using his thumb. Katulad kung paano siya nito patahanin noon. Mas lalong hindi nahinto ang pag-iyak ni Jovie. The way he touches her brought so much memories to her. The way he would comfort her when she struggles with school, when she cried so hard because she's having a hard time dealing with her mother, for all those things, Daniel would always be there to wipe her tears.

"Via.. " Daniel trailed off, "Your biggest dream is to become a mother, " he said. His eyes were red. Jovie who knows Daniel for years.. alam niyang nasasaktan din ito.

"You were so happy when you found out you're pregnant. While waiting for our baby to come out, you hand knitted her blankets.. she has so many in her cabinet, " he chuckled. Tears on his eyes, too. Gustong umiwas ng tingin ni Jovie. But for some reason, she wanted to see him. Gusto niyang makita kung paano ito magsalita. It's been years the last time she saw him this close.

"I remember you reading so much books on how to be a good mother. You practiced a lot of cooking thinking that our daughter might be a picky eater like me. You were so excited about our child that everyday, you look so happy. I never see you that much happy.. " tuluyan nang tumulo ang luha ng lalaki.

".. that when I woke up and heard that you're gone, that you left Rania, that you abandoned us, the only thing I could remember is your smile and laughs everytime we would talk about how we would raise our daughter. That when everybody told me to hate you, I couldn't bring myself to feel that way because everytime I would try, it just reminds me about the poetries you wrote for Rania.. your journal that is full of lovely things about how excited you are. Via.. I didn't hate you at all.. "

Napapikit ako. How could he not.. how is it possible..

"When Rania was sick, I wanted to contact you. I.. n-need you badly.. " Like a power button, that's when Jovie completely broken down. She fell on the floor but Daniel kneel in front of her.. and hugged her so tight.

"I know you won't like it when Rania's sick. I know how much you love our daughter. And I know you won't just abandon her.. I know you so much that the only thing that made me hate you is why didn't you depend on me.. I know I was unconscious.. but I couldn't believe you left.. when you could've stay with me, and we would figure it out together.. " he whispered the last words.

"Daniel.. you were hurt, " I finally speak up. "... you almost die.. because of me. I couldn't lose you. I couldn't lose our daughter. So I left to make it better for both of you.. " Jovie couldn't help it but to embrace Daniel. As if she was holding for her dear life.

"My brother told me to run.. because that's the only thing that could save you and Rania. "

ᕦʕ •ᴥ•ʔᕤ

Hi!! After being away for months huhu I'm back! I'm so sorry. I don't really have the motivation to write and during the previous months, writing feels like an obligation rather than enjoying it. I'm back now after ghosting you all for months (for I think 3 times now). I deeply apologize for those who waited. Babawi ako.

By the way, all stories under this series are light lang. Wag tayo sa mga drama drama. If you read the Book 1 and 2, light lang naman ano? Wala namang iyakan tayo? If umiyak naman kayo, pasensya na.