The very beginning

My birth was a mistake, a very big one
at that. Just speaking theoretically; mom
and dad never planned me or so I was
told. They were your everyday couple
being intimate, and BOOM!! out of some
where I came along.

Mom never wanted an abortion because she feared it would claim her life, but dad on the other hand didn't want a baby to disrupt his already planned career, and also because he didn't have a penny to his name.

Then the arguments started, if it wasn't mom complaining about the family upkeep money being inadequate, it was dad and his constant comparison of mom to other women who supported their husband financially by leaving the house to go get a job, and they would go on and on about it.

Overtime their relationship degenerated, dad was drowning in bills, and some debts. He began to stay out late, and each time he got back he was either drunk or would get physical with mom.

This continued for some years until one Thursday night when I was twelve or thereabout, dad had gone out again on one of his drinking sprees, and I was at home assisting mom in the kitchen to make dinner.

The next thing I heard was his voice booming in the living room, I was thankful that he was at least sober.

"Kate!! come here this minute" Dad barked.

Mom hurriedly left the onion she was slicing, and made way to the living room and I meekly followed behind her.

"Kate what is this am hearing from our neighbors about you sleeping around... Are you a whore now??" He spat, a complete look of disgust on his face.

Mom looked utterly shocked, as she was still trying to compose her words a slap flew across her cheeks, I already knew where this was headed and I dreaded it.  

Mom muttered something like..."To your room" to me but I didn't catch on quickly.
Dad marched fiercely to the kitchen to do only God knows what and before I could say JACK I was staring face to face with our sharpest kitchen knife just an inch away from the bridge of my nose.

"Didn't you hear her to your room" He yelled, at that point I was genuinely scared but couldn't muster any courage to move an inch, I just stood there dumbfounded.

Then mom snapped, it was the first time in my existence that she had talked back or even challenged him, then things took an ugly turn, blows were flying here and there, tables were turning, the knife fell and as I bent down to pick it I looked up only to see a trickle of blood on the left side of mom's face.

I felt pained, and as if someone heard my internal cry, there was a loud bang at the door followed by two of our neighbors and a man I didn't recognize rush in, dad must have forgotten to lock it in his fit of rage.

That was mom's cue to run. She grabbed me and my little body and took off, running as fast as her legs could carry her and not looking back once.

*****
Hi there 😊, thanks for giving my book a try. And if you have deemed it vote and comment, thank you. Hope to see you in chapter one. Byeee
Also, just to add. There would be regular weekly updates on my book.