Chapter Twenty-Two: Forget About Me

~~~EJ~~~

"Welcome to the East High Morning Show. I'm Gina Porter."

"And I'm EJ Caswell, and we're co-hosting the first ever East High Morning Show, 'cause I'm president of the AV club."

"And I'm his only friend who agreed to do it." 

I glanced at Gina, who was perched on the stool beside mine.

"That's right," I said awkwardly, "Back to you, Gina."

"Thanks, EJ. Now, for our first-ever guest. You know her from The Rose Song that's been blowing up the East High Instagram-"

"Oh, quick reminder," I interrupted, "Tickets for Beauty and the Beast go on sale next week." 

 "Hmm, that's right EJ. Now please welcome Nini Salazar-Roberts." 

We both applauded, moving over to a different camera set-up where Nini was sitting with her ukelele in her lap.

"Hi guys!' She greeted. "Thanks for having me." 

"This just in...Nini's song has over 2,500 views, making it the most viewed post in drama club Instagram history." 

"Are you serious?" She asked.

"Songwriting skills, universal acclaim...how does it feel to be you right now?" Gina questioned. 

"Uh, feels good," She replied.

"So what was the songwriting process like for you?"

"Well, really I do owe Megan Kline some credit. She gave me some really good advice that inspired the theme behind the song so...I couldn't have done it without her."

"You talked to Megan?" I asked, before I could stop myself. Gina and Nini both looked at me and I cleared my throat, forcing a smile at the camera. 

I tried my best to focus on the rest of the interview, but the second we cut the cameras, I grabbed Nini's arm and pulled her aside. 

"So you talked to Megan?" I repeated. "When? How is she? Did she say if she's coming back or-"

"Whoa, ok, slow down." She interrupted. "Yes, I talked to her. I was seriously struggling with the song during the workshop so I took a shot in the dark and...gave her a call. I didn't expect her to answer but...she did." 

"And?" I asked. "What did she say?"

"Not much. I mean, we mostly talked about the song," She answered, "She did mention that she figured everyone hated her...and that if I talked to you and Ashlyn to tell you both that she's sorry."

"And what about her? Is she ok? Did she say?"

"She said she's working on it." She said with a shrug. "That's all she said really. She sounded ok, but obviously not...the same."

I nodded, swallowing hard and pulling my phone out of my pocket.  I sighed as I saw I still had no messages. 

"I'm sorry." She told me, squeezing my shoulder before walking past me out of the room. 

"Hey. You ok?" Gina asked, stepping up beside me. I nodded.

"Yeah...working on it." I answered. 

~~~

"Everyone, attention please!" Ms. Jenn called as we all gathered in the costume room. "I'm sure you're wondering why I called this special midday drama club meeting."

"Oh, are you announcing the fall musical?" Seb asked. "I vote Dear Evan Hansen." 

"No, Seb. Its March." She said. "And the rights won't be available for five years. I tried. I am announcing that we are in such a good place after our improv workshop. We're getting one step closer to Menkies gold."