The Hybrid: Chapter Six

"I hear you've broken into my government-funded facility, Shepard."

The man stood there with his arms behind his back, nothing but a cold heart hiding behind his eyes. Garrus and Thane stood on opposite sides of the war room, listening in on the conversation between Shepard and the doctor who is responsible for the death of many innocent children. Shepard's stomach tightened and her face fell as the man that stood before her was not Doctor Heart. He wasn't the same race as the one she killed a year ago. Garrus noticed this too, as he was having a severe case of an itchy trigger finger. Thane stood in the darkness, leaning against the cool metal of the ship. His thoughts focused on the man in front of him, taking in every small significant detail of the human. From the scar across the bridge of his nose to the spec of dirt on the bottom of his pants, Than took note. He also noticed the stains on his lab coat. He wasn't sure if it was blood or something else, nor was he quite sure what he thought about it.

"What government would fund something like this?"

"It seems that there is more to this universe than you care to realize, Shepard."

The man looked to his right and his left and then proceeded to tilt his neck to pop it. Shepard shifted her weight between her feet, wanting to leave and find this animal.

She thought of her words carefully.

"We killed you. Or at least we thought we did a year ago." She crossed her arms over her chest.

The man chuckled, "The galaxy thought you were dead too, Princess."

Shepard glared at the man, trying to think of a solution to the problem before her. The Doctor Heart that she had come in contact with before wasn't human; he was a salarian. Either he had found a way to change his species, which would be groundbreaking, or he was his apprentice. This man could very well be a fake but she wasn't sure what to think of it. Garrus had the same thoughts swarming in his head. He was confused, dazed even. He replayed the scene from a year ago in his mind over and over again; something was wrong. He prayed that it wasn't along the lines of him changing his own species. If he was able to change DNA... Garrus couldn't think past that.

The man sighed on the projection, sounding as though he was disappointed, "You sound confused. Let me enlighten you."

The man continued talking about how he had altered this human body to be a specimen of the new race he was making. By using the DNA of human children along with Turians, he was able to make a body that could withstand bullets and create a human mind that could process details quicker than a normal one. He even accomplished a brain transplant from his old body.

Shepard wanted this to be a nightmare.

Garrus wanted this to end.

Thane could only examine the doctor, not able to process anything, but could only recall memory.

Shepard couldn't think of what was worse: the end of the world or the fact that a scientist like this existed. Then again, if they failed the mission, they could use this scientist and his discoveries to re-populate the galaxy. The thought sent shivers through Shepard's spine, causing her to quickly shove it out of her head. She needed to focus on the task at hand: finding this scientist and killing him. She didn't want to arrest him, this man needed to be taken out, even if the Alliance says otherwise. She knew doing this would cause her to be grounded, but she would find another way back onto her ship.

Little did she know, Garrus was having the same thoughts. He looked at the man, wondering how he was able to accomplish mind transfers and the changing of DNA sequences to his liking.

"I'll leave you to your misery, Shepard. You need me and you know that."

Before Shepard could say anything, the man had disappeared and the call room fell silent. Thane shifted his weight off the wall while Garrus took in a deep breath and hunched over, letting his hands rest on his legs. Shepard stood there with her hands digging into her arms as she hugged herself. Panic was starting to set in as she stared off into the distance.

"This cannot be happening." She said over and over again. Her mind was reeling, anxiety clenching its fists around her again. She wanted this nightmare to end. There was too much at stake with the Reapers wanting to destroy the world. The voices of the ones who told her how it was inevitable went through her mind like a broken record, repeating the words over and over again. Garrus had noticed this, taking a step towards Shepard, wrapping his arms around her. He put his face in the crook of her neck while Thane stood in the darkness, processing the words of the man on the call.

"If I may," Thane spoke, his shrill voice helped lull the pain in Shepard's heart, "we could use this man."

Garrus bit his tongue. He could easily snap his attention to the assassin and kill him on the spot for saying that. But with Shepard in his arms, he stood still, swaying her a little. She needed him more than he needed to kill Thane. Shepherd signed, her arms relaxing, her hands resting on Garrus, and her eyes closed. They needed to focus on the current mission: going to Palaven to save the children. Someone there was selling these children to this sick bastard. Either that or the Alliance was somehow involved in this and she didn't know how.

After a few moments of standing there, Shepard and Garrus finally pulled apart. They both felt better and less anxious. They turned their attention to their comrade who was staring at them. Shepard felt her cheeks heat up in sudden embarrassment and she rubbed the back of her neck.

"What do you mean, Thane? Have you read the reports?"

"Yes," Thane gave a nod, "he could help repopulate the galaxy if we do not stop the Reaper invasion."

"This man is sick, Thane. I cannot allow it. It's bad enough we can clone," She muttered the last part; a part of her still believes that she's a clone.

"I am with you, Commander," Thane gives a nod.

"Let's just get to Palaven. From there we will go to the Military Headquarters and speak to the turian that gave us this mission."

Without another word, Shepard walked out of the room with her hands behind her back. Garrus and Thane stood there glancing at each other. Garrus knew that Shepard was stressed and news of this scientist was making their world spin out of control. He also knew that there was something else bugging her. Garrus sighs, following Thane towards the door. Thane stopped, turning at his heel to Garrus.

"I pray we succeed and find the source of this madness."

"You and me both," Garrus mutters. They both walk out of the room and head to their lockers. Garrus was happy but haunted about going home. He had a sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach that told him that this trip home wasn't going to be pleasant. Someone there was pulling the strings; a sick fuck who needed to be taught a lesson. Garrus frowned, grabbed his sniper, and checked the ammo clip for any leftover bullets. He put an extra clip on the belt of his armor, placing his gun behind his back. Garrus closed his locker and headed down to the bottom floor of the ship with Thane standing next to him. The ride down was silent, both of them lost in their own minds. Garrus was growing worried for Shepard but knew that she could take care of herself. He hoped to make her feel better after this was through, take her out to dinner on the Citadel, take her shooting, anything to help her feel better about the situation at hand. He wished he could make the looming Reaper threat disappear, taking that weight off of her shoulders. Why did this have to happen? Why do the Reapers need to destroy all sentient species?

His stomach tightened while his heart flipped and he squeezed his hand tightly at his side. When the elevator doors opened, he took in the sight. Alongside the armored vehicle stood Shepard, leaning against the armored plating with her foot prompted up against the tire. She had her favorite weapon in hand, crafted to her liking. Her fire-red hair was combed back away from her face and her red eyes glanced at him.

She made his heart skip a beat.

Her freshly polished red camo suit shined in the dim lights of the ship. She pushed herself off of the Mako, turning towards Garrus and Thane to give them her whole attention.

"We'll depart in a few minutes. Let's find the person responsible for selling these children to that monster."

Thane and Garrus nod.

"Just promise me one thing, Shepard," Garrrus stood alongside Shepard while the departure ship warmed up.

"Yes?"

"Kill the sick son of a bitch."

The smirk on Shepard's face spoke volumes to Garrus.