Chapter 1: Starlight ★

Joel's POV:

I said, "Oh, my, what a marvelous tune"

It was the best night, never would forget how he moved

The whole place was dressed to the nines

And we were dancing, dancing

Like we're made of starlight

I groggily opened my eyes as the alarm clock blared next to my bed. It was still dark outside, but I knew I had to start my day. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stretched, feeling the stiffness from yesterday's workout.

I made my way to the bathroom, splashing cold water on my face to wake myself up. The mirror reflected my tired expression but knew I had to push through. After a quick shower, I dressed in my work attire - a crisp shirt, black pants, and polished shoes. I grabbed my stuff and headed downstairs, prepared to make breakfast.

I woke up earlier than usual, feeling a surge of energy coursing through my veins. I headed downstairs, prepared to make breakfast as usual. And what better way to start the day than with a stack of warm, fluffy chocolate chip pancakes?

I tiptoed downstairs, careful not to wake Ronnie and Luke. The house was quiet, the only sound being the soft hum of the refrigerator. I pulled out all the ingredients I needed from the pantry and set them on the kitchen counter.

I measured out the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. I whisked them together, creating a cloud of white powder that floated in the air. The aroma of the ingredients began to fill the room, a comforting scent that made my mouth water.

Next, I cracked a couple of eggs into a separate bowl and whisked them until they were frothy and pale yellow. I added some melted butter, a splash of vanilla extract, and a generous pour of milk. As I mixed everything together, the batter became smooth and velvety, with a rich, creamy texture.

I met Bobby on the boardwalk, summer of '45

Picked me up, late one night out the window

We were 17 and crazy, running wild, wild

Can't remember what song it was playing when we walked in

The night we snuck into a yacht club party

Pretending to be a duchess and a prince

I couldn't resist sneaking a taste of the batter, dipping my finger into the bowl. The sweet, buttery flavor danced on my taste buds, confirming that I was on the right track. With a satisfied smile, I folded in a handful of chocolate chips, watching as they melted into the batter, promising pockets of gooey goodness in each pancake.

I preheated the griddle on the stovetop, the metal surface sizzling as it heated up. I melted a pat of butter on the griddle, watching it bubble and sizzle before pouring ladlefuls of the pancake batter onto the hot surface. The batter spread into perfect circles, the edges turning golden brown as they cooked.

The kitchen filled with the tantalizing aroma of freshly cooked pancakes, the scent wafting through the air and reaching every corner of the house. It was a scent that could bring anyone out of bed, drawing them towards the source of its deliciousness.