Chapter 2: What's Happening?

May 15th, 2018

A particularly bad thunderstorm one night woke Mieka up. She slowly walked to her parent's room. As she approached, she heard her parents talking through the door.

'We have to do something about this Alexander. We can't let them do this. They will take them!" Mom said worriedly but quietly so as to not wake the kids.

"I know that, but we can't let them find out about our plan or they'll hurt the kids or us, Marie." said their dad.

"We'll think of something! We always do!" Marie told Alexander.

A heavy silence overcame both of them before sniffling could be heard from both parents.

"We know what they'll do to them. What have we done?"

Mieka went back to bed and hid under the blankets and silently cried wondering what her parents could be talking about.

In the morning, Mieka woke up and went to the kitchen where Kai was waiting for breakfast.

"There's our little angel! Did you sleep well?" Their dad said.

Mieka yawned, rubbed her eye, and nodded.

"That's good." Their mom said as she put a plate of breakfast in front of her and Kai.

When they finished up their food they changed out of pajamas and played with toys in their bedroom.

Their mom came in, "We have to grab some things from town so we will be back. Remember, stay in the house and stay safe, we love you and we'll be back."

The kids nodded and went back to playing, an hour went by before Mieka asked, "Have you ever heard Momma and Poppa talk weirdly before?" Mieka asked.

Kai asked curiously, picking up on the worried and fearful tone that laced Mieka's voice "Weird, how?"

"Like something bad is going to happen and they don't want you to know about it?" Mieka said holding a stuffed wolf.

Kai sat there thinking. "No, not like something bad was happening. Talking secretly for presents but not hiding something."

Mieka sat, still looking a little worried. Kai moved over closer to his sister, "Hey, no matter what happens, we are a family forever and I will love you forever."