Swimming Pool

Chi groaned softly, holding her stomach with her left hand, thinking to herself grouchily. It's finally summer! If only I weren't on my cycle right now, I'd be in the pool with my friends right this moment! Surrounded by the cool, crystal-clear water while bathing in the deep yellow sunshine... why am I being punished by womanhood?! To think I have to deal with this every 28 days!!  I can't believe this is happening to-

"Oh, Nishikata-san. You're sitting out today too." Tanabe interrupted her miserable train of thoughts.

"Y-yeah..." 

"So am I. My dog scratched my leg."

"Ah..." Chi looked down and noticed the long strip of band aide snaking from his thigh down to his knee. "I've got a dog too. He's called Kurosuke, and according to my mother he's scratched me before too when we were playing at the park near my house when I was younger."

"...Yeah, you were. It was pretty nasty. You needed a lot of antiseptic."

"Huh? How do you know?" Chi asked, puzzled. "I just met you in the first year of junior high." 

"Dunno." Tanabe lowered his eyes, refusing to meet hers. 

"Tanabe-kun, I thought of a competition!" Chi announced, ever-dense. "If you can guess why I'm not in the pool today, you-"

"You're on your period." 

"What?" 

"I said, you're on your-"

"No, I mean, you, how did you-"

"You were holding your stomach like it ached, Nishikata-san. Were you paying attention during health class at all?"

Chi's face flushed. Am I that obvious? Well, time to play a desperate card...

"Y-You shouldn't say that to a girl, you know..."

"The teachers said nobody should be ashamed to be on their period, Nishikata-san."

"...Sure..."

"Well, I'm going to go swim now."

"What?"

"I said, I'm-"

"No, no, I mean didn't your dog-"

"He did. Last week."

"WHAT!" Chi yelped. "Here I was thinking you were suffering too! Traitor!"

"..."

Chi's face flushed. That makes us sound like.........

"N-never mind..."

"We can swim together next time when you finish your cycle, Nishikata-san." Thus her seatmate took off his PE shirt and walked down the steps into the sun-kissed water.

Together... Chi thought. He's just going to tease me again...

Chi let out a sigh. Wait. If his injury was healed, then why did he sit out? She thought, puzzled. Was he....

Chi shook her head furiously. No, no, no! He probably just sat out to tease me...

That was when a splash of water hit her face. 

"Sorry, Chi-chan!!" Aoi called.

"AOI-CHANNN!!" Chi screamed.

{A/N: Considering Chi's friend is an unnamed character, I decided to call her Aoi. Short and simple. Sorry for any confusion. Aoi's family name will be revealed in the next few chapters.}