The Letter

Golden rays of sunlight shine through the window as the rises. As light feels the small room, you can see dust particles dance through the air.

The window blinds row themselves up, causing the room to fill with light. Only moments later, a small yawn can be heard. The yawn in question comes from a small boy on the bed. As the boy sits up, books and toys fall off the bed into the already messy floor.

As the boy rubs sleep out of his dark brown eyes, a loud yet shaky feminine voice can be heard throughout the house. "Breakfast!" After these words are heard, the boy jumps out of bed and starts sprinting out of the room only to trip over the multitude of items on his floor.

As the boy makes way through the halls, he holds his head due to hitting his head slipping. When the boy gets to the kitchen to is immediately bombarded with questions and concerns from the family's house elf Wibbley, "Oh, Master Hyde, are you okay?! I heard a loud thud upstairs. Did you fall?" The house elf looks at the bump on Hyde's forehead as he answers. "Yeah, I'm alright, Wibby. Serves me right. I should really clean my room more often. " The small house elf sighs in relief as she puts a bandaid on Hyde's forehead and kisses it better.

The house elf ruffles Hyde's hair as she says, "I'll clean your room after I serve breakfast." Hyde looks relieved for a moment before saying, "You don't have to. I should really clean my own room." The Boy had more to say but was cut off by the house elf. "Nonsense Master Hyde, it's one of my duties. Plus, you have better uses of your time, like this letter"

The house elf holds out a letter addressed to Hyde out for him to take. As Hyde takes the letter, his mother and stepfather come in the kitchen, followed shortly by Siblings. His stepfather ignores everyone as he focuses on reading the morning newspapers. Once everyone is seated, Wibbley snaps her boney fingers. Several breakfast dishes like pancakes and biscuits cover the table. Hyde's stepfather Daniel Braxton sighs deeply before addressing Hyde's mother. "Catherine honey, why do you insist on using Magic for everything." Catherine looks irritated by this comment before consoling herself and replies, "This again? I will never understand why you dislike Magic so much. It makes everything run smoother and more efficient." Daniel just grunts in and returns to his reading.

Hyde that the opportunity to speak to his mother, "Mom, I got a letter from Ilvermorny." He says this with such enthusiasm and excitement that it could make even the bitterest of people smile. Hyde's stepfather Daniel clears his throat before speaking, "You? Go to Ilvermorny?" He laughs loudly, and Hyde's younger siblings join in the laughing. Hyde's mother speaks up after taking a drink of her coffee. "Now, dear, don't be so rude." She comments on Daniel's rude behavior.

Hyde speaking up, "I don't know if I've been accepted yet. I haven't opened the letter." She mother replies "Well don't keep us waiting all day. Open it." As soon as she says this Hyde rips open the letter and start reading it. After several minutes, Hyde looks up to see everyone staring at him expectantly. "Well?" Everyone expect Daniel says.

Hyde stammers out a response. "I- I can't believe it -" his older brother cuts him off. "What is it?" He says impatiently. "I got in!" Hyde yells only to be reprimanded by his stepfather."Cut out all the yelling before I give you something to yell about."

Nobody seems to hear Daniel as they all shreek in excitement. Hyde's mother reads the letter aloud.

"Dear Mr. Hyde John MacPherson

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Your first semester begins on the first day of September.

Enclosed, you will find a pendant with the symbol of a Gordian Knot. During the Initiation Ceremony (which includes but is not limited to the Sorting Ceremony and the Wand-Placement Ceremony), you will learn more about this Knot. For now, however, the pendant will be necessary to enter the grounds of Ilvermorny.

To accept your place in Ilvermorny, simply place the pendant around your neck. If you do not wish to attend Ilvermorny, leave the pendant in its case and send it to the Head of Admissions at Ilvermorny, Prof. Veruca Froid, via owl or similar.

Along with this letter and the pendant, you will find a list of required supplies for First Year students, as well as a schedule for the upcoming school year and instructions to travel to Ilvermorny Castle.

Yours sincerely,
Deputy Headmistress Emaline Goode"

When his mother finally finished reading the letter, Hyde dumped the remaining contents out of the bag. As Hyde places the pendant around his neck, his mother gasps in realization, "Dear Goddess, that only a week away!"

And that concludes the first chapter of Chronicles of Ilvermorny.

Stay tuned for more.