Chapter 1

Hailey's pov

Today is Monday, the first day we see eachother in school after the band competition from Friday. I'm kinda excited to see the group together again after the concert we won. Everyone specifically complimented my and Jake's duet. But, it was all thanks to him. Without his courage, I wouldn't be able to get over my stage fright, and we probably wouldn't win. I have to thank him today at school. If I manage to get through the fan girls, of course.

"Hailey, we're gonna be late! Hurry up!" I hear Zander shout from the hallway.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming!" I answered him, rolling my eyes. God, Milly's right, he can be a buzzkill sometimes.

I dress myself, pack the school bag and exit from my room, meeting my step-brother in front of the main door.

"Ugh, finally! Why do you always need 10 years to prepare yourself for school?" Zander asked me, quite annoyed.

"Well, it's not me who gets up at 6am just to take an one-hour long shower." I hissed back, more in a joking than serious tone.

"Whatever, let's just go." he admitted the defeat as we both leave the house.

"Zander, Hailey, have a great day at school!" Shannon yelled from the kitchen, getting ready to drive Bethany to school.

On our way, we met Luke, and the 3 of us continued walking together, chattering along the way.

Soon enough, we arrived at our destination, though we needed to split up since we had different classes. I went to the corridor where my locker was, and was surprised by a big crowd there. I took a closer look and saw, how could I forget, Jake, flirting with the girls surrounding him. Ugh, what a cocky jerk. I put the combination in my locker and opened it, just to get the books I needed for the first class of the day. I really didn't have energy nor nerves to deal with Jake's nonsense in the morning, so I just started getting things as fast and unnoticeable as I could. Unfortunately, he spotted me before I got a chance to leave. I meant to talk to him during the 3rd period, when I had science with him, but seems we'll have to go this way. Just great.

"H-hey..! Hailey..!" he was getting through the mass of his own admirers. He got right in front of me, staring straight into my eyes.

"He-hey.." the peach-haired boy scratched the back of his neck, sheepishly greeting me.

"Oh, hey Jake." I answered and gave him a weak smile. I was slowly turning my attention from his face to the crowd that was still a few meters from us.

"A lot of fans you got, I see. Even more than we had right after we won the competition."
I teasingly smirked, low-key pointing at them.

"Oh, them? Well, what can I say? How could anyone resist this charm?" he smirked at me seductively, though I knew that when he did that look at me, it was just a joke.

"Ha ha, veeery funny, Sterling. I wanted to talk to you, but if you're just gonna charm the ladi-" I crossed my arms and pretended to leave, knowing that would make him serious.

"Wait, you wanted to talk to me? Is something wrong?" he interrupted me with a worried expression, putting his hand on my shoulder. I knew that would work.

"No, everything's fine, even more than fine. I just-" I stopped for a little bit, making it sound more intense.

"I just wanted to thank you." I faced him again, giving him a soft smile.

"Thank me? For what?" he asked confusedly.

"To thank you for all the bravery you gave me to get over my stage fright. For every possibility you offered, just in case I actually froze up. For.. making us win this." I finished, kinda dramatically.

"Hailey.." his eyes softend and he smiled back warmly, and, I admit it, he looked better when he smiled like this than his stupid, fake grin. Oh God. Not this stupid feeling again. Before he could answer anything else, the bell loudly rang, reminding us we have 5 minutes left until the classes start.

"We'll talk later, okay?" Jake told me the plan and I just nodded. We've waved eachother goodbyes and everyone went to their classrooms.

As I was heading towards the english class, that gut-feeling slowly began leaving. I had it for first time a couple weeks ago, around the time Jake joined the club. And everytime he has smiled, hugged or complimented me, the strange warmth would wrap my neck and I just couldn't.. talk. I don't recall having that kind of feel.. ever. God, what is happening to me?

-------------------------------------------------

Author here! I'll try not to rush anything, so you can enjoy their ✨ together moments✨!
Chapter 2 will be out in 2-3 days!

Hope to see you soon, my little stars!🌠