CHAPTER XXV

ADLEY

I'm due to fly to Austria today, to meet up with Lando and Oxland for a few days before the Austrian Grand Prix this weekend.

Before last night, I'd been looking forward to the trip, unknowing that I was going to experience something with the very last person I expected to connect with, that made me want to stay around.

When I open my eyes, I feel his arm beneath me, and the scattering of sand covering us as the morning wind picks up as it welcomes in a new day.

"Good morning Mon Beau" he coos behind me, bringing a smile to my face.

"Good Morning Lee" I mock.

As I feel his other arm wrap around me, pulling me toward his body and placing a kiss inside my neck, I have to try and remind myself I'm not dreaming.

"What time is your flight?" He asks.

"Noon" I inform regretfully.

"We should get you back to your Grandpas" he admits and I groan in disappointment.

As we walk hand in hand back up toward the driveway, I'm hesitate to ask what happens next? What happens when I leave?

"Should I.. leave?" He asks cautiously.

"Hmmm," I consider, "maybe. I haven't had much time with Grandpa since I got here, and I think I owe him an explanation as to why I didn't come home last night"

A wave of guilt washes over his face.

"Last night was..." I begin, watching the anticipation take over him, "incredible"

A sigh of relief rolls off his shoulders as he pulls me in close to him, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and placing a kiss on the top of my head.

"I was worried" he admits.

I let out a breathily chuckle.

"I'll see you okay?" Unsure why it sounds like a question.

"Yeah, I'll call you. Message me when you land and we'll go from there okay?" He informs which leaves me hopeful.

We say goodbye at the end of the driveway and I watch as he walks off down the hill and round the corner.

Taking a deep breath, I cautiously open the front door.

"Morning" Grandpa announces with a smirk on his face right on the other side of the door.

"Geez" I shout, my hand grasping onto my chest in a freight.

"I've been waiting here all night. You had me worried sick" he announces.

"What? Grandpa, really?" I ask in horror.

He can't hold in his chuckle, "no not really. Geez, Addy you're old enough now. I was just on my way to the kitchen when I heard the door. Great timing though" he mocks.

"You're good" I coo, pointing my finger at him, following him into the kitchen.

"Looks like you won't be needing this" he teases, picking up a piece of paper from the kitchen bench and ripping it into thirds before tossing it into the trash.

"Grandpa?" I boast. Rushing to the trash and pulling out the recently thrown out paper containing the recipe.

As I place the torn pieces together and study it, I realise it's the phone number for a gardener. "What?" I ask in confusion.

Grandpa starts chuckling again, "I rang him this morning, I don't need it anymore" he replies innocently.

"What has gotten into you?" I gush in amusement.

He shrugs his shoulders as he fills up the kettle. " Was a good night then?"

"Yeah. It was. It was, it was actually amazing" I reminisce.

"Good for you chicken" he appreciates.

By the time I make it to the airport, I'm actually really upset to be leaving. Grandpa and I at least got to enjoy the morning together, going through some of Grandmas old things in the garage.

It's incredible how much love for her still radiates off him.

Their love was always the bench mark and boy was it high.

"I'll see you soon okay?" I announce to him as we make it to my gate.

"You're welcome here anytime" he informs me.

"I love you Grandpa" I appreciate.

"Love you too, Addy. Oh and here" he hands me a small gift bag.

Pulling the tissue paper out, I secure my fingers around the small crystal figurine. Placing it onto my hand and bringing it up to my eye line, the most gorgeous butterfly settles in my hand.

"Oh Grandpa" I gush. "You shouldn't have"

"I didn't" he announces, reaching into his back pocket and handing me a piece of paper.

The butterfly represents transformations and new beginnings. I thought it was relevant - C x

My eyes dart up to Grandpa who is looking oddly proud of himself.

"When did he give this to you?" I ask.

"The morning he came over at breakfast" he replies.

I think back, "I hadn't even told him about these yet" I remember.

Grandpa shrugs his shoulders innocently, before giving me a final goodbye hug and waving me off as I make my way through the gate.

Once settled, I pull out my phone, taking a picture of the crystal butterfly and sending it to Charles.

I can't thank you enough for this, but how did you know? I hadn't even told you about the figurines yet? - Adley

I asked around about your family after I ran into you and your Grandpa at the restaurant, some relatives of mine remembered how important the crystals were to your Grandmother. I figured they meant something to you as well. When we were at the market, you just confirmed the rumours - Charles.

Shutting my phone off and securing it into my bag, I rest my head back on their airplane chair and think back to that day at the restaurant.

We were no where close to the position we are in now and still he found a way to find the most important parts of me. Still then, he was able to care enough to reconnect me with my past.