Lenny - Part 1 - A Bad Morning In Heaven

(This is a rewrite because I feel it would be much better in first person.)

In a small, rural town in God-Knows-Where, America, it seemed that every single person was having a horrible day. In the streets there was a silence that gave you a shiver that someone was going to sneak up behind you in the cover of day. The wind whistled through the grass that reached out between the uneven pavement, trying to grab at your feet and pull you down to whatever was just below the towns grass, and judging from the houses and shops, it was Hell.

My name is Lenny Mc'Grath, and I live in this town.

To give you a description, I look like every single nerd in any comic book and a massive meeting and decided to mush me up out of clay. My hairs blonde and it's upsetting that I don't fit into the 'dumb blondes' stereotype. My eyes a green, the same green as the grass that surrounds this town I, sadly, roam around in. I prefer baggy clothes because I don't like when people constantly poke at my eating habits and or my diet in general. Almost any time I'm with my auntie she always says something along the lines of; "Len Len, look at your scrawny arms! You know my Bradley-" and then proceeds to go on and on about her son for an hour, usually ending in me interrupting to ask for food so she'd shut up. My face is kind of long, looking a bit like a broken iron, but much paler, like a vampire iron. I often stare at people like that one emoji with the straight mouth and big, round eyes, and my nose is quite long to, to my standard. 

Away from that, I was wearing one of those polo shirts that you wear to school, the ones that when they got wet, you could see everything underneath. The polo's collar was folded over so I would look more neat than my scruffy hair showed off. Because of that fact, I was wearing a knitted, grey jumper over it that was so baggy I could fit at least another person inside. I also wore some tight skinny jeans which made my body look even smaller. I regretted that as soon as I stepped out the house. I, again, regretted the fact I wore black-and-white checkered trainers that made me stick out even more. 

I was staring down at the pavement as I walked to the coffee shop. The grass and dandelions that randomly spurted out reminded me too much about how I stuck out in school, like i was the grass and the lads who. I passed a few dandelions that I met the first time I went into school too. I met then as a bruised and battered 11 year old. Looking like and acting like a nerd has its faults.

I departed from the pavement to make my was to the coffee shop door. I kept my eyes on the ground, admiring the gravel and how much dirt it had got caught in it in the past few years. A glided to the side to be nearer to cars for more chance that I didn't get ran over. The paint on the ground that marked parking spaces was faint as it attempted to step over each one. Most of the cars I past were black or white, showing me how truly everyone wanted to fit in so nothing stood out. That's how it was; dull town, dull people. My hands slowly lifted themselves a bit to sink themselves into the small pockets I had, covering the white dashed in my nails in them. They only got around a quarter of the way in before stopping, so most of my hands hung out while the rest enjoyed the comfort of my pockets.

I stepped back onto the pavement and looked up the see the completely glass front of the coffee shop, looing at the hanging 'OPEN' sign before my face that felt like it was taunting me almost every time I saw it. I tried not to sigh or huff as I looked up to the massive sign above that spelled out "BIG BANG BO-NUTS", the name of the shop. No one ever thought the name was witty, cool or anything. Everyone thought it was sad, sad that it was trying so hard yet was so far from what it wanted to be. The bricks around the glass on the sides and front was painted to attempt to look newer with some of the plants that were trying to climb their way up to the roof having paint on it too, infecting their dull colours with brightness. It was hard to look at because how how pathetic it was, but it got easier when you saw it day in and day out.

My right hand pulled out of my pocket with some struggle then slowly reached for the door, letting one of my legs step forwards as I slowly pushed open the door and too a few steps to stand in the hallway. No bell ran out so no one would know I have even shown up if they weren't listening.

I looked around the room, my eyes flickering to one thing, then to the next. The floor was tiled with blue tiles, almost exactly like the tiles you'd find in a hospital, that's why it felt so miserable in here for me. It reminded me of all the disease in the world. One both sides of the room, the windows opened the doors to the outside world, only the corners being covers from it, while the rest let people look in and out to harm you with their cruel gaze. There was a counter that emerged from a wall on the left side, being mostly clean glass that peered into metal shelves displaying donuts of all sorts and sizes. Behind the counter; there was a wooden door leading to the employees room (there were distant sounds of a TV playing from said room) with a wooden plate holding up plastic pegs to the side of it with a few aprons hung up on each, there was a lot of counter covered in coffee machines and dough on floured-up mats for coffee and donut making. The white paper menus sandwiched between glass hung not far from the ceiling just above these counters, the subtitles in bold while the normal title was just big and italic. A vending machine sat sadly in the top right corner, just to hide the empty space behind it. The walls which weren't covered in glass were a plain blue that seemed just a bit dull, being tinted with black to not harm peoples eyes because everyone was used to bulled down colours.

The one employee that was actually present and confident to show their face in this place had their back to me. They were putting up a poster just in front of them, not showing me what it was, but instead showing their red-and-white striped shirt which had rolled up sleeves just above their white elbows. Their black jeans complimented their slightly curvy figure, much unlike me who looked like a stick who had been pulled out the mud then bleached like Hell. Their skin tone was just a bit darker than mine, but not enough to have parents with brown or olive skin. Their hair was in a low pony, but seemed to be done with some sort effort from how far their ears seemed to be pulled back from it. They wore a green apron that wrapped around their neck and waist in two neat bows. They didn't seem to hear me come in until I walked in a bit further, my hand departing from the cold glass of the door to dive and find my pocket again for safety.

The door behind me slowly came to a shut, the worn bristles lining the two sides making a brushing sound as it shut. That noise got the persons attention. They turned their head over their shoulder, their blue eyes looking back at their slightly bumped nose almost twitching like a rabbit, which their face looked a lot like. Their cheeks were plump and round, giving them a child-like feel, in a nice and cute way, not a snotty-nosed brat. Their lips were separated, yet their teeth were clenched together. When they noticed who I was, their eyes grew a sudden sparkle of happiness with their lips pulling into a smile as they spun the rest of their body around quickly, yelping out; 

"LENNY!"

In a common feminine american way.

The poster they were putting up was one offering a show of some sort, it was hard to read with the lack of care I had for it, I was more focused on the way she was beaming at me.

I gave an awkward smile to the girl as my legs began to slowly move again, making their way to the pegs in a turtle-like way. My hands left the safety and warmth of my pockets as I slipped behind the counter from the small employee hole and made my way for my apron. I pulled off my jumper and instantly felt vulnerable, as if I just took off my shirt entirely because of the thin polo shirt underneath. One hand worked for the apron while the other hung up my jumper on the old apron hanger. I pulled the apron strings around my neck, basking in the silence that was hung around the shop before I look over to the girl, who was still beaming at me, but I bit more quite. I could read her name tag now, but not like I needed to, she introduced herself to me almost 3 times a week.

"So!~ How's you're morning? A bad morning in Heaven? Because, guessing from your deep eyebags and glare, you didn't sleep too much last night!"

Lucy said with her annoyingly nice voice. This was Lucy Duckert, but most people called her 'Ducky' than Lucy. There was no reason for why. 

I frowned deeper at Lucy as I turned my body to face her while my hands worked behind my, tying the apron around my waist.

"I guess."

I grumble, not wanting to answer. Lucy always said my life was "Heaven". She was referring to the fact my parents are quite wealthy, my mother had a very good job at a high-end fashion shop further in town, while my father was a well-known priest that was very good at preaching his ways into anyone's head with only a few yelled out words. My house was a bit larger than most peoples homes that lived around. Sadly, this meant that my mother had more room to throw things and my father had more rooms to yell into at her.

"Oh, come on, Lenny!"

Lucy smiled as she now turned towards the employee door, putting her hand on the knob while she stared at me with just her eyes.

"Loosen up!"

She said before opening the door and leaning in, her leg flicking out behind her. I worked my way around it, walking to lean on the counter by my elbows, my fingertips pushing into the cold, metal feel of the counter. My body gave itself a feeling that everything was going to be fine today.. That's a feeling I give myself most days, so every day will forever by classed as 'fine'.

I stop focusing on myself for one minute and listen into what Lucy is doing. If she's saying anything at all, she's saying it in a hushed whisper so I can barely hear. She's probably talking to the person who was watching TV, since the TV is now paused. I hear the TV stop its buzzing out of a sudden and Lucy relaxes a bit, leaning back into the room while whoever was inside stood up and made their way towards the door. Their footsteps were heavy, as if the person knew they were important. Lucy slowly shuffled to open the door fully, her happy eyes burning into the back of my neck. I turn my head to look over my shoulder, studying who just walked out the room that Lucy so desperately wanted me to see in her own silent way.

It was Dean.

Dean was a little taller than me, maybe 6'2-6'3, and was an African-American lad. His hair was short like mine, but was much more curly and had more texture then my own, slightly greasy, mess. He was tall and strong, not too muscular and not that thin either. He was wearing a white polo, like mine again, but a shirt that had more colour and was less see through to make him pop out of a crowd. The sleeves were rolled all the way up to around a quarter of his upper arm. Over this, he wore a purple vest leading down to a tight belt with baggy, black jeans with rips on the knees and thighs. On his feet, there were some well-cared for black trainers. He seemed over all a very nice looking person, his eyes a dark brown as he stared at me with a small grin.

Dean and I had met a few years back when Dean first moved into town from California; instantly proving he was much richer than us by his pure presence. They didn't have too much interaction, maybe an occasional nod and smile on the streets or a very rare conversations about anything or everything we had in common, but I was always regarded as a lesser friend to Dean. He would never even acknowledge me when he hung around with his mates, the were all football, or soccer as they call it here, or rugby lads who can't shut their mouths about anything a geeky or nerdy person does.

His small smile he often gave to me was a lot bigger and confident in this moment, I'm shocked it didn't make me think.

"Hello Lenny."

Dean said as he walked towards me, standing beside me with a grin. His hand rested on the counter, not enough for him to lean, but enough to make me glance at it. I still had my body turned towards the door, staring at him with just my head. There was something lurking behind his eyes when he spoke.

"How have you been?"

His bright teeth could have blinded me then and there, luckily I was staring at his eyes with my scrunched-up confused face.

"Fine?.. I guess?.."

He must of picked up on how awkward I felt since he now turned to Lucy, who was still by the door, staring at us as we spoke. She was probably very happy that we were getting along. He called out;

"Oh, sorry Lucy, but I've left my phone in that room, could you get it for me?"

He asked with pleading eyes. Lucy was too busy admiring him to build a sentence and simply gave a hum for "okay!" before disappearing into the room. Lucy always had a thing for Dean, I had no idea why and didn't really care for why. There was footsteps leading away then a shuffling noise. But, before I could hear footsteps approaching, Dean did something weird.

He put his hand on mine.

He held my hand with the hand that was resting on the counter originally, his thumb against my palm with the rest of his fingers cupping the back of my hand. My eyes widened as I felt this. I felt pulses of warmth shoot through my body from his hand, his face growing warmer the more I sunk in the fact that this was happening. My constantly clenched jaw actually relaxed a bit as I now looked to Dean, who now leaded down a bit further so I could smell his minty breath to speak;

"Meet at my house at 7pm.. I need to.."

Deans eyes pulled away from my blushing face to trail to our hands together. This caused my eyes to follow. In that moment, I would have done anything Dean would have done just to please him. My eyes shot back as I felt Deans lustful eyes back on my face.

"Talk.. To you."

Dean then backed off of me, his hand separated from mine as he enjoyed my terrified yet happy face for a few more seconds. I guess he liked the power he had over me. He grinned wider, turning on his heel with a chuckle as he walked for the door. He reached for the doorknob. Yet, as soon as he did, Lucy pulled open the door quickly with his phone on her hands. He smile was cracked a bit from earlier, but Dean didn't care to notice that.

"Oh."

Dean looked confused before taking his phone back.

"Thank you, Ducky."

Dean said before pushing his phone into his back pocket, his grin turning into a genuine smile before he turned to walk away towards the door. I knew Lucy was looking at me, but I couldn't stop staring at Dean. I couldn't stop thinking. The way he moved with his chest so puffed now came into my mind, he held himself like he was important before  was forced to look away by Dean leaving the shop.

Lucy gasped in, like she was going to say something, but stopped herself and simply shut the employee room door and walked past me.

I stared forwards like Bean from Rango, my eyes wide and my mouth a confused frown. I didn't know what to do. All I knew is that I needed to know what Dean wanted. 7 pm. 7pm. That's all I repeated in my thoughts that day. Anything else I tried to think of got overwritten by Dean. Lucys smiles faded into Deans grin, the smell of donuts turned to Deans minty-fresh smell..

7PM