Love's Serendipity

Sheltering under a cafe awning wasn't how Mia and Alex pictured their day would go. It was the middle of October and a heavy rainfall was the last thing they expected, but there they were, waiting side by side for the rain to stop. They were the only ones there too. It seemed as if the whole of Westerville had gotten the warning except them.

"Rain in the middle of October. Shocking isn't it?", Alex started.

Without turning, Mia chuckled lightly and nodded, "Quite shocking indeed. I know there has been news about global warming, but I sure as hell didn't expect this." She peered outside a bit and said, "Looks like we were the only ones who didn't know about it, though."

"Yeah, you're right", Alex agreed.

Both of them turned at the same time but Mia stretched her hand first, "Mia, nice to meet you. What's your name?"

"Alex, it's nice to meet you too."

Mia shivered with delight at the sound of his voice. Her back tingled and her cheeks turned a red cherry blossom. "Thanks."

"So do you come here a lot? I'm a regular and I definitely would have not missed a beauty like you."

Her cheeks felt warmer. She could only hope he assumed it was from the cold and not him. "Yeah, well...it's not my first time here but I've come twice. The first time was a date." She squeaked and slapped her hands on her mouth.

Alex chuckled, "Don't be shy. If it makes you feel any better, I've made even worse mistakes."

"You have?"

"Come, why don't we sit here instead", he pointed to a bench, "We can talk about some of our many shenanigans."

Mia smiled, "Sure."

As the conversation flowed effortlessly, their words painted glimpses of their lives. Mia, an artist who crafted wonders with her brush, capturing the essence of emotion on her canvases, and Alex, a photographer who froze time with every click, preserving the essence of fleeting moments. What had started as a casual chat soon evolved into a profound journey through their aspirations, vulnerabilities, and experiences that had moulded them over time.

From inside the old couple who owned the stared at them with warmth in their eyes. "They remind me of us when we were younger. This was how we met wasn't it, love?" The old woman sniffed and snuggled close to her husband, "It was." Filled with emotion, they brewed two fresh cups of coffee and had one of the waitresses deliver it to them.

"It's on the house", she said.

The two peered inside and waved in thanks to the elderly couple before returning to their conversation. As they sipped their coffees and told more stories, their chatter stumbled upon a surprising revelation. Alex was showing her some of the pictures he took at the last exhibition he went to. He scrolled until a particular picture caught Mia's eyes.

"Wait! Let me see that. Look", she pointed at the woman standing beside him in the picture. "That's me."

They had both attended the same art exhibition months ago, unknowingly standing before the same abstract painting and feeling inexplicably connected to it. Fate had been weaving threads between their lives long before the rain brought them together.

"I can't believe it. Looks like we were meant to be in each other's lives, hmmm?" He bumped her shoulder.

As hours melted away like sugar in steaming cups, they discovered more eerie coincidences – a favorite childhood book they had both cherished, a mutual friend they had met at different times, and even a missed connection on a train platform during their travels. The more they talked, the more they realized that their lives were like intricate puzzles, each piece finding its place in the other's story.

With evening descending and raindrops still dancing on the streets, Alex hesitated for a moment before suggesting, "Would you like to continue this conversation over dinner?"

Mia's eyes twinkled, "I'd love to."

And so, they stepped out from under the awning, allowing the rain to caress their faces as they walked side by side to a nearby restaurant. Their laughter blended with the rhythm of the rain, and their hearts synchronized like two notes in a harmonious melody.

Alex took her to his favorite restaurant, El Amor and over dinner, their connection deepened, fueled by shared stories, mutual interests, and their undeniable chemistry. The rain outside was now a distant hum, an orchestral backdrop to their blossoming romance.

Finally, the day ended but not the steady thrumming of their hearts or the electrifying pulses that seemed to sizzle each time they held hands.

"Will I see you again?" Alex whispered.

"Tomorrow. The Cafe?"

Alex grinned widely, "The Cafe."

Days turned into weeks, and their whirlwind romance swirled like a tempest, sweeping them off their feet. They explored the city together, discovered new places, and created memories that felt like precious gems, each moment polished by the shine of their affection.

In the heart of their love story, Mia and Alex realized that the rain had brought them together not by chance, but by design. It was as if the universe conspired to align their paths, using raindrops as the ink to script their tale of serendipity and love.

And so, on rainy days, they would often return to that same cafe awning where it all began, sipping coffee and watching raindrops write new stories on the bustling streets. For Mia and Alex, the rainy day was more than a memory – it was a reminder that sometimes, the most beautiful stories are penned by the hand of destiny.