Spring Freshman Year- 5

Chapter 15

The end of the school year is right around the corner. The weather is warming up and Theo and I are out on a walk around campus. I love how he holds my hand in his wherever we go.

"So what are your summer plans?" Theo asks, breaking the silence between us.

"Nothing crazy," I admit. "I'm going to join a gym and keep up with my workouts for volleyball. I'll hang out with my friends too, but I don't have any trips or anything planned. How about you?" I ask, looking up into his deep blue eyes.

"Mostly just getting ready for study abroad," he says. "I'll spend some time with friends, but I leave mid July for a little trip with my parents before everything starts in August."

I keep forgetting that Theo won't be here next semester. He's studying abroad in Scotland for the beginning of his junior year. I try not to think about what will happen to our relationship while he's gone. We still have one more week of school and then half a summer ahead of us. No use freaking out now.

"That's so exciting," I smile at him, though I know my smile is weak. "We'll still talk while you're in Europe, right?"

"Everyday, baby," Theo says, pulling me into his side and kissing me on top of my head. "I'm gonna want to hear all about volleyball season and school and everything you do. I can't believe I'm going to miss seeing you play. I wish I could've seen you this year to make up for it."

He looks genuinely sad that he won't see me play. Honestly, I'm pretty sad about it myself.

He must notice my change in mood so he says, "Enough with the sad talk. Let's go to the student lounge and grab something to eat."

"Theo, I'm not really hungry," I whine.

It's honestly not true, but now I'm too sad to eat.

"No way, missy. We're gonna go get you some chocolate cake," he smiles.

I don't have the heart to tell him that I don't like chocolate cake.

~~~

A few days later, Theo and I are cuddling on my bed watching a movie in my dorm room. We each have one final exam left before it's time for us to head home for the summer. Most of my room is packed except for the few things I'll need tonight and tomorrow.

Theo lives an hour and a half away from where I live, so there's no way I'll be able to see him as often as I'm used to. That on top of knowing he'll be leaving for Europe in a month and a half is really bringing me down.

Theo must notice my mood and pauses the movie. "What's with the sad face?"

"I'm just really going to miss you," I admit, trying to hold back tears.

"I'll miss you too, baby, but we're gonna see each other the summer. I wouldn't miss seeing this beautiful face for the world."

He leans down and kisses me softly before coming up for air.

"You're my girl, Ava. My one and only. Don't worry about us. We'll be fine. I'll make sure of it."

I give him a small smile before kissing him back. I trust him. He would never let me down.

~~~

It's finally time for me to head home. Theo finished his final first and offered to help me pack up my car. It's hot out and we're both sweating by the time we're done. I turn in my dorm key and Theo walks me to my car.

We're walking in silence just thinking about how to say goodbye. These past few weeks have been the most amazing ones of my life. I finally know what it's like for a guy to care for me and it's absolutely incredible.

Theo is leaning against the door of my car and he's holding me against him in a tight hug. I try to memorize every inch of his body as he pulls me tighter.

"I'm gonna miss you so much," I admit.

"I'm gonna miss you too, baby," he says, still not letting me go.

He rubs his hands up and down my back before reaching for my chin and tilting my face up towards his own. We stare into each other's eyes for a moment before he leans down for a kiss. I can feel his emotions through the kiss. It's the last one we're going to share for a while and he's telling me how much he cares about me and how much he'll miss me.

I kiss him back with the same vigor, our lips practically bruising each other. He opens my mouth and swipes his tongue against my own. I just want to taste him one more time before I leave this little bubble we've been living in. Things won't be the same over the summer and next semester I won't see him except over video call.

My heart breaks thinking about how he could easily find someone else in our time away. I'm nothing special and I'm sure he'll realize that once he meets other girls.

I feel a tear drip down my face and Theo must feel it too as he pulls away. "Don't cry, Ava," he says as he kisses away my tears.

"Sorry, I'm not usually like this," I blubber.

He soothes me until my tears cease and then it's time for me to go. He gives me one final peck on the forehead before I slide into my car.

After I close the door, he taps on my window, asking me to roll it down. "Text me when you get home," he says before pecking me on the lips one last time.

"I will. I promise."

I give him the best smile I can muster before putting the car in drive and pulling out of the parking lot. Why does it feel like I'm leaving him behind?