8

Jacks

Jacks

I'm unsure if Ridley will show up to complete the volunteer work portion of our team building. There are still three hours before the BBQ starts, but I've been sitting here with Calla and Maddox, unable to pry my eyes from the dirt road. It's like an itch I'm unable to scratch.

Letting Ridley go was a mistake. She was not in a stable state of mind. As a psychologist, I should've known better than to release her arm. Taking her keys and escorting her to safe space would've been the better option. However, during our exchange, I was still in coach mode. I meant what I said about fifth place not being bad, but I understand Ridley's frustrations. She's a top-tier rider who expects better of herself.

And now I know what's driving her.

There were lots of rumours about Ridley and Teuvo throughout the two years they rode together. The majority believed they were enemies because that's the way they were marketed. But the opinions of hopeless romantics were strong. Somewhere hidden in the forest and away from prying eyes, they were romantically involved. I never strayed from the neutral line. After hearing the raw pain in Ridley's voice... I'm favouring the hopeless romantics. Somewhere, underneath all the acting and racing, Ridley and Teuvo were in love.

"Jacks?"

My finger stops tracing the letters engraved on the wooden picnic table. Some people say this picnic table looks shoddy, but I like the character. There are names, quotes, and dates engraved into it, done with either pocketknives or sharp rocks. It symbolizes how tight-knit the motocross community is.

"Yeah?"

Calla cocks her head to the side. Her blue eyes sparkle in the sunshine. "Is everything okay? You're quiet this afternoon."

I sigh, using the heels of my hands to rub my tired eyes. Nothing has been disclosed between Ridley and I as counsellor-patient, so I'm not breaking any rules when I say, "Ridley came in fifth place today and it triggered her. I tried to talk her down, but it didn't help. Whenever I hear an engine, I keep looking to see if it's her. She wasn't in a stable state of mind, Calla. What if something happens? I'll never forgive myself."

I'm expecting an answer from Calla, but Maddox intervenes. He's sitting on the far side of the bench, feeing Ryder some kind of baby-friendly concoction. "Vance, my cousin, went through a tough period in his life. I don't have a fancy degree like you, Jacks, but none of this is your fault. Unless you've caused the trauma, you have nothing to feel guilty about. There's only so much you can do. If Ridley's not accepting help... that's on her." He lifts one shoulder. "It's a hard truth to accept."

"She said it wasn't enough for him."

Calla's face falls, and she looks at Maddox. He's already staring at her. I note the subtle shake of his head.

My mood perks up a little. They know who I was referencing when I emphasized him. There's something going on here. Information that may help me break through Ridley's iron-clad walls. I prop my chin on my fist. "What are you two hiding?"