001. a boy runs from home

harry potter x m.reader

two "friends" stumble across each other in the middle of the night

(Name) cups his hands up to his face, blowing out a slow, gentle breath to warm up his freezing fingers. It was late at night, and even with the leather jacket on top of his turtleneck, he was still freezing. Down Victoria Road he went, stride kept to a brisk pace, as he passed each silent house. Stuffing his hands in his pockets, (Name) took a sharp turn down Magnolia Crescent, stopping short. Down the road, he could make out a lean figure crouching down on the concrete.

(Name) squinted, his eyes taking a bit to focus through the murky darkness, when he caught sight of the figure's messy black hair.

With a frown, he walked up to the person and stood before them, making them look up. Vibrant green eyes met (eye color) ones, and (Name) felt a vague mist of warmth come over him when he recognized that beautiful shade of emerald.

"Harry?" Harry Potter's eyes widened with recognition, his disheveled locks ruffling in the cold breeze, revealing the tip of a pale scar upon his forehead. (Name) scanned him up and down, taking in his worn shirt, flannel pants, and unusually pale face, before glancing at the black shape beside Harry. A massive leather trunk with a bird cage on top met his eyes.

(Name) felt his heart drop, hoping, hoping that this wasn't what he thought it was, that the Dursley's hadn't finally done something so horrible that it pushed Harry to this point.

Taking notice to the sad glint in (Name)'s eye, Harry shook his head, gathering his arms around him in a hug. He seemed to be fighting with himself, eyebrows scrunched together as he buried his face in his arms. "...You should go home, (Name). It's getting late."

It was silent, before Harry felt someone sit down on the pavement beside him, their shoulder warm against his.

"Like hell I'm leaving," (Name) muttered, looking at Harry. "I may not be the best person, but at least I'm not a shitty friend."

(Name) smiled when he heard a small chuckle, letting it grow into a grin when Harry lifted his head from his arms. Leaning his cheek against his elbows, Harry let his gaze fall into place with (Name)'s, his cheeks taking on a slight tinge of pink. The two of them looked at each other, none of them daring to break the silence, when a sudden chill swept through.

Harry shivered, wrapping his arms tighter around himself, trying to preserve his heat through his thin pajamas, as he gave (Name) a small smile. "Guess it was pretty stupid of me to run out like this, huh?"

(Name) sighed, shaking his head as he took off his leather jacket and draped it over Harry's shoulders. "What ever would you do without me?" (Name) said dramatically as Harry pulled the jacket tighter around him. He moved his face closer, wiggling his eyebrows with a smirk. "How about a kiss as a thank you?"

Harry went rigid for a second, his face going a pleasant rose color, as he stammered for a few seconds. (Name) watched him happily as Harry tried to recollect himself, before laughing. "Don't worry, I was just messing with you," (Name) said, moving back a bit. "But, please bring a jacket next time you leave at night. You could've gotten sick."

Harry grinned, his face still a bit pink. "Oh, why thank you, my knight in shining armor. Whatever will I do without such a big, strong man to protect my oh-so-feeble self?"

(Name) tipped his head back, letting out a bark of laughter as Harry joined him, the two of them feeling as if it were just the two of them in this cold, empty town, with no worries in the world. All too soon, though, reality caught up to them.