chapter five

I feel     weakened by my own    salvation

Rotten Shreds.
Death Fails me.

My death is me. It's intimate and it's personable. It's mine to mourn, and I was mindlessly interrupted as I awoke the next morning. None other than by Inej and Kael arguing and disrupting into their own nastiness and bitters.

I'm hungry, but that had been an empty void hollowing my rotten flesh. It is truly mortifying to be the only one who remembers such marrow. My memory became my own filthy and harrowing punishment. I didn't want it. 

I sat at my table, groggily observing as Kael spiraled into a sort of chaos. He spat gruelingly through his sharp edged teeth, strikingly yelling towards his sister. They were constantly at one another throats.

"You have lost the key?" He bared his teeth, ripping his own flesh apart, as some sort of ritual to prove how evil he truly was.

I didn't flinch. His usual antics was his own business. I was simply an unknowing audience as he forgets my presence and aims all vulgar insults towards Inej.

Inej stalked around my quarters. And while she was backtracking and explaining herself to her brother, she was damn near judging and cruelly prying at my embedded details. She always was a greedy fool.

She smugly grinned, following in Kael's footsteps as they lightly treaded in an agonizing circle.

"Oh, please," she huffed greatly, "ever think it was your own wrong doing?"

Kael sped towards Inej, locking his hand around her neck and slamming her hard against the wall. He wasted no time in braising his knuckles along the trail of her tainted blood.

"How would that be? I gave it to you last!"

Inej growled, tearing herself away from the goopy wallpaper and stalking closer.

"No, you didn't," she chuckled with a hunched furrow forward.

He eyes her curiously, almost like he had regretted his rashness.

"One of her maidens had it last... and now," her eyes trailed to me, as though she were trying to get a reaction out of me, "she is nowhere to be found."

Inej craned her neck to the side, inspecting and observing me. I didn't dare move. If it was true, the words she had uttered, that my maiden was missing, I would be devastatingly heartbroken by that thought. In true fashion though, I gave her no emotion. Too void of it all.

Kael was furious, but he didn't seek for answers, he only glared at me. Both wanted a reaction, but I never gave in. I avoided such stares and trudged my sight through the door behind them. I was ready for my freedom of the day.

He maneuvered, bending down with his hand caressing my knee. His touch was sickly and I was nearly blinding myself as I didn't blink from his suddenness. I felt the tears prickling and probing my senses, but I didn't break even.