A new student

James was an American exchange student, from New York City, he came to Yorkshire after he had his brain injury, he was in a wheelchair and couldn't talk and needed to be fed through a tube in his stomach.

His parents had enrolled him in the high school in Dihginia.

This was his first day at School Of The Disabled.

When James first got into his accident, nobody knew if he would live, and even if he did live how much brain damage would he have?

But his parents didn't give up, and he was in a coma for six weeks, when he came out of the coma, after six weeks, the doctors told his parents that he would not be able to do anything, to put it bluntly, they would need to put him into an institution and forget about him, but his mother refused. 

His parents believed that the school for the disabled in the north of Yorkshire, would be the best place to send their son, but that would have meant they would have moved to Yorkshire with their son.

James' father didn't to go to Yorkshire at first, but his mother desperately wanted to be with her son.

So they booked a flight out to Yorkshire.

———————-

Meanwhile, in the music classroom, Stevie with help from Alen was putting up a banner that read "welcome James".

"Well, Ah reckon we're gonna have a lot of fun with our new student, eh Stevie?" Alan said once he had finished hanging up the banner and had stepped back to admire it.

"Yeah, hey, where is Jimmy?" Stevie asked.

"Well, how the hell should ah know, ah ain't seen him all day, maybe ya should go look for 'em!"  Alan spoke as he got his guitar out and started playing a few notes.

"Will you not help me with this?" Stevie asked.

"Ah ain't got no time, lesson starts in an hour." Alan responded going back to tuning his guitar.

—————-

In the nurses office, one of the nurses was changing James into some fresh new clothes that his parents had brought him.

"There you are, all clean and ready to make a good impression!" The nurse said when she had finished dressing him.

James looked very smart in the power of sweatpants and a blue T-shirt that he was wearing when the nurse put him back in his tilt wheelchair.

Since this was his first official day, his parents wanted him to look good.

The nurse wheeled James out of the nurses station and down the hall, arriving at the music room, she opened the door, to reveal Stevie and Jimmy performing for the class, they had chosen one of Stevie's songs, superstition.

"Hey everyone!" The nurse said as she wheeled James inside.

"Welcome James!" Jimmy and Stevie almost said at the same time.

James lay in his tilt wheelchair. His hands lay in his lap, since the accident, all James could do was blank his eyes, and in such a way he communicated, his parents were hoping to get him a communication device, they wanted it to be an American one but there was a problem.

Nobody knew how intelligent James was, they thought that he would surely not understand the significance of a communication device, so his parents were advised not to get him one.

"So, do you wanna hear another?" Jimmy asked when they had finished.

"Hear another?" Ollie mumbled to himself.

Stevie heard him mumble and went over to him.

"Do you wanna sing with us?" He asked.

"No, no thanks, don't wanna do that!" Ollie spoke rapidly, his anxiety skyrocketing.

"Hey, it's ok, you're ok!" Stevie spoke softly before going back to what he had been doing.

After the music lesson concluded, Ollie took a few steps toward James.

"Remember, Ollie, not too close!" Stevie, who had sensed that Ollie had gotten up from his seat, came over and spoke.

"Remember, not too close!" Ollie echoed in Stevie's voice before running off.

Instead of saying something, Stevie went after Ollie, understanding the unique way Ollie communicated through echolalia.

Once out in the hallway, Stevie, used his sense of hearing to listen for Ollie.

"Hey there, Ollie, where are you?" Stevie asked with a cheerful tone.

Ollie, using his delayed Echolalia, repeated a phrase he had heard before, "Where are you?"

Stevie gently grabbed Ollie's shirt and smiled, saying, "That's right, Ollie! Stay right here with me, buddy. Don't run off, okay?"

Their unique way of communication warmed Stevie's heart as they shared this moment.

"Come on, let's go back to my classroom!" Stevie spoke.

"Back to classroom." Ollie echoed.

They walked all the way to Stevie's classroom, where Jimmy was waiting.

"What took you so long?" Jimmy impatiently asked tapping his foot.

"Ollie had run away!" Stevie explained.

Jimmy let out a heavy sigh and shook his head, then Jimmy lent over to Stevie to whisper in his ear.

"You know, the principal wants us to make a good impression for the students, right?" Jimmy whispered, harshly.

"Yeah, it's not my fault Ollie ran off, he does that." Stevie whispered back.

The classroom where Jimmy and Stevie are working is a welcoming and inclusive space designed to cater to the diverse needs of disabled students. It is a spacious room with large, bright windows that allow natural light to flood in during the day. The walls are adorned with colorful artwork created by the students, showcasing their talents and creativity.

The classroom is equipped with a variety of specialized tools and resources to assist the students in their learning journey.

 There are adjustable tables and chairs to accommodate students with different mobility needs. In one corner of the room, there is a sensory area filled with soft cushions, textured materials, and soothing lighting for students who benefit from sensory stimulation.

At the front of the classroom, there is a smartboard and a computer station with adaptive technology, enabling students with various disabilities to access and interact with educational materials. There are also Braille books, large-print books, and audiobooks readily available to cater to different reading preferences and abilities.

The classroom is designed for inclusivity, with ramps and wide doorways to ensure easy accessibility for wheelchair users. It's also equipped with assistive listening devices and sign language interpreters for students who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Jimmy Buffett and Stevie Wonder, along with their colleagues Stephen Hawking and Alan Jackson, work closely with the students to provide a supportive and encouraging environment. They collaborate with the school's dedicated staff to create personalized learning plans and experiences that empower each student to reach their full potential.

Overall, the classroom where Jimmy and Stevie work is a place of learning, creativity, and inclusivity, where disabled students are given the opportunity to thrive and achieve their educational goals with the help of these talented and compassionate mentors.