Chapter 20

Em's POV

Em's POV

Vic and I sit in our room for an hour, talking, before we start worrying. Sure, it's only been an hour, but I know either Soph or Lily would've texted us by now.

I check my phone again, blowing out a breath. "Vic, I have a bad feeling about this."

Vic nods. "I think we should go check on them. But maybe their detention is just running late."

We head down to the car, grabbing Ruy, and head back to the school. He parks in the back lot, and we peer in a window by the cafeteria. After making sure it's empty, I climb in, helping Vic in, and then pushing open the doors, peering down the hall to make sure nobody spots us.

"Cmon!" Ruy leads us down the hallway, taking a couple turns. "Soph and I passed the detention room, so if they're here then they're fine."

We get the the door, and Ruy carefully peers in, his face whitening. "They're not here. The classroom is empty."

I exchange glances with Vic. "Do you know where else they could be?"

"Dr Buannaiche's room," Ruy mutters, more to himself than the two of us.

"What?" Vic asks.

He doesn't answer, pushing off the wall and striding quickly down the hallway.

I hurry after him, trying to keep up as he rounds corner after corner. He rounds another corner and runs straight into a ginger boy, who seems out of breath.

"Are you okay?" Vic asks quickly.

The boy nods. "Yeah. Hey- I'm looking for my friend Soph, have you seen her?"

"We're looking for Soph and someone else," I say. "Who're you?"

"I'm Dex, who are you?"

"I'm Em, this is Vic. We met Soph a little while ago, but she and another friend of ours didn't come to see us after detention so we got worried."

Dex nods, his eyes flickering over to Ruy. "I haven't known her that long, but we're friends, and she sent me an SOS signal a couple minutes ago, so I rushed here."

I scratch my neck anxiously. "Right, well Ruy knows where they are, so let's hurry."

He leads us doesn't he hallway, pausing outside a door. "It's this door."

I try the handle, and sure enough, it's locked. I glance down, and a little blue button catches my eye. I suck in a breath, grabbing it. Lily was wearing this earlier- I remember cause she told me about the buttons.

"See, Em, they tuck into my skirt, so you can't even tell I'm wearing buttons."

I hand the button to Vic. "Yeah, they were here alright."

Dex gently pushes past me, his eyebrows furrowed as he pushes on the wall near the door.

"What're you doing?" Ruy asks.