8 - Dire and Dangerous

———

-Your POV-

Rei waves wildly, grinning eagerly like the happy guy he was at heart. "See you!"

For some reason or another, I couldn't return the genuine smile as he turned to hike up to the north of the Crimson Mirelands. I was sent to the south – meaning, the completely opposite direction of Rei.

As my eyes sweep the Crimson Mirelands, I cringe when mud covers the path as far as my eyes can see. The deep, sticky puddles suction onto my thick, woven shoes that weren't made for this kind of expedition. Deceased and rotting trees stand at precariously dangerous positions as if they were about to tumble onto me at any given moment. Cautiously stepping past a dead log lying beside a lake of muck, I try not to trip over the many poison-type creatures scampering around in the feeble and scarce grass clumps as far as it can from the toxic-looking ponds.

"This place really is scary..." I mumble under my breath, flipping through the Pokedex to a fresh page.

Crouching down to become almost eye-level with a plant nestled into one of the logs, I begin to sketch the shape of the vibrantly emerald budding greenery. Before I can complete the drawing, the flower hops up and spins around, sending me flying backward in surprise.

"Bud- Budew!" It cries, small beady eyes staring at me dumbfounded.

Eyes stretched wide, I gape, "You're a Pokemon?" The tiny animal could hardly be called such, as its round, yellow bulb, and green bud twisted on its head. The thing only chirps in response.

I step back once more and fumble to grab a Poke ball from my waist pouch, then carefully aim and toss the capsule in a long arch. It hits Budew on its forehead, though not enough to hurt it, and sucks the Pokemon into it with a flash of light.

One, two... and three!

Sparks of light explode from the top metal mechanism on the sphere, indicating that I've secured the Budew. "Yes!" I shout, jumping to snatch up the Poke ball containing my new partner.

Once I'd placed Budew's ball into my satchel, I continued to stroll down the path south, still avoiding the sinkhole-like terrain that covered the expansive fields of slimy dirt that are the Crimson Mirelands.

After trekking farther and capturing several others to send back to headquarters, and after charting their information and statistics, I'd decided to call it a day. The orange afternoon sun sunk to the end of the horizon, illuminating my face with warm rays of light. "Guess I should head back about now." I inhale, excited to return to the village.

I snap my paper Pokedex shut but hesitate, feeling eyes on my back.

Uncertain, I brush off the feeling but break into a sprint, trying to travel through the Crimson Mirelands as fast as possible. I was halfway to the camping location closest to the entrance to Jubilife Village. I push past brambles and lush bushes that grab at my legs, almost tripping me multiple times, but just as I leap out from behind a tree – the meet-up spot in sight – I'm forced to skid to a stop as an enormous, chartreuse bug jumped into my path, snarling.

Its glaring red eyes bore into my soul and froze me in place. Paralyzed from fear, I quake in my spot, trembling far too hard to choke out a word.

I recognize the creature as Syther as it clashes its sword-like limbs furiously. Something told me this wasn't your average Pokemon. It was an Alpha. It advances, brandishing its blade of an arm and slashing forward.

At the last moment, I think of guarding my face by harshly lifting my own arms like a shield. It was futile.

-Rei's POV-

"Why hasn't she come back yet...?" I tap my feet impatiently, surveying the swamp before me. The stillness of the trees and extensive plains frightened me. (Y/N) should've returned to the base camp an hour ago. Sure, she could've simply decided to stay up longer, but I was hoping to spend the dinner with her and Professor Laventon at Beni's place.

"R-Rei..."

The faltering whisper causes my head to whip over to the right, where a clump of brush is pushed away, revealing (Y/N).

Her (h/c) hair was let down around her face, not neatly combed into the standard uniform ponytail, and it wasn't pushed out of her face like it usually was — instead, thrown across her face, nearly obscuring her dazzling (e/c) gaze that now was dull with pain. And that wasn't even the most alarming part.

Just by looking at her, I could tell that she had run into another Alpha. Its blades left nasty gashes on her arms by the time she escaped, and blood that shone in the sunset dribbled down her limbs, leaving a trail in her wake.

"(Y/N)! Almighty Sinnoh- Are you okay?!" I yelp, racing her to her side. When I was near her, she promptly collapsed onto me — practically falling onto my shoulder. Her heavy, shuddering breaths shook even me, and I held her in my arms, scared to say another word, lest I miss one more moment of (Y/N). "You're not gonna die!" I shout, convincing myself.

"I... I'm not going to leave you..." (Y/N) attempts to stand, but her knees give out, and she almost hits the ground, but I catch her in my arms.

"I'll- I'll carry you." I decide, lifting her figure like a princess and cautiously bringing her to the meet-up spot. While walking back, I watch her closed eyes and uneven breaths as she clutches onto me like her last hope.

It dredges up miserable memories of when I found her at the base of the mountain all those years ago, beaten and torn just like today, only back then it was much more severe.

"My boy! Whatever happened to her?" The professor exclaims when I enter the ring of fellow Galaxy Team members who circle the fire.

Not responding, I gingerly lay her down in one of the resting tents. Then, I turn to Professor Laventon after a lingering glance at (Y/N)'s crumpled form. "You've gotta- You've just gotta help her." I sputter, tears rolling down my cheeks.

- - -

[ After that, Cyllene-san always sends you two out on missions together — although she'll deny it's on purpose. ]

———

Word count: 1084 words