Chapter 2

Jay is startled, admittedly. He couldn't have ever guessed they would be looking for his friend, if he could even call Tim that. It's not that Jay disliked Tim, he just rarely talked to him. All the people on the set of Marble Hornets tended to be friendly with each other and Tim was no different. He and Jay had talked a couple of times, but they were never close. Jay tended to stick with Alex, while Tim and Brian were attached at the hip. Jay shakes his head, hoping to clear his thoughts.

"I know Tim, we went to college together. Worked on a film project with him, too," he states. Jeff and Evan seem surprised, although Jay supposes he can't fault them. They don't know anything about him and this is one hell of a coincidence. The two share a look and Jay wonders if they think he knows something.

"Were you guys close?" Jeff is the one to break the silence, taking a seat on the edge of the bathtub. Jay shakes his head.

"No, we just worked together. He mostly stuck by our friend, Brian," Jay pauses with a shrug of his shoulders. Then, he looks down at the floor with a mournful look. "Brian's gone now."

Evan grimaces as Jeff raises his eyebrows. Jeff looks as though he's about to ask what Jay means when Evan says, "So, he's dead. How?"

"Shot, I assume. I checked his house recently. It was a mess and there was a spent bullet casing in the bathroom. A lot of blood, too," Jay informs the two. He wants to cringe at how hollow his own voice sounds, but he has to admit Brian's death spooked him. He wasn't close with Brian either, but Jay would still consider them friends. Well, he would have. There is a minute of silence that Jay is quick to interrupt.

" I only have one spare room. Vinny's in mine so you can get settled for the night. I'll take the couch," he offers. Jeff looks as though he wants to object, but clearly doesn't want to sleep without his friend. Jay waves them forward, taking them into the spare bedroom that Jay mostly uses as an office. He grabs his laptop and tidies any spare papers laying around. Jeff and Evan are arguing over who gets the bed and Jay rolls his eyes, smiling a bit despite himself. He exits the room, setting his laptop down on the coffee table and grabbing a few spare sheets from a hall closet. He tries not to worry much about the unconscious man in his bedroom. As he lays there on his couch, trying his best to fall asleep, he thinks. 'What have I gotten myself into?''

The next morning starts rather peacefully. Jay gets up and makes a pot of coffee, enough for all of his... guests? He hasn't really thought about what they are. Then, Jay plops some eggs in a pan and makes breakfast for all of them. He may burn some of them, but that's his secret to keep. Jay sets the table and starts to his room. It's time to change Vinny's bandages, so he should do it before breakfast. Except, as Jay shakes his shoulders, Vinny wakes with a start and swings his fists everywhere. Jay barely manages to avoid the attack, crashing straight into the wall behind him with a grunt. Vinny seems to realize he's not in any danger and lowers his fists.

"Sorry to wake you," Jay says softly, hoping to avoid waking the others if they haven't already. "I need to change your bandages before breakfast, so I woke you up first."

Vinny nods, still looking a bit too pale for his liking. Jay slowly reaches out towards Vinny, helping him up and to the bathroom so Jay can get the med kit. Wrapping up Vinny takes less effort this time around, presumably because he's not about to pass out due to blood loss. Granted, Vinny being awake makes this more awkward as Jay reaches around him, basically hugging him every time. When Jay finishes, Jay helps Vinny to the table, where he starts on his breakfast. Jay goes to the guest room to get Jeff and Evan, but finds them already awake. He doesn't listen to their conversation but he hears the word 'Corenthal" before opening the door. Evan and Jeff are clearly thankful for the meal while Vinny looks a bit more reluctant about it. Fair, Jay thinks, his appetite is due to be down after an injury like that.

"So, Jay," Evan begins, his voice serious. "Do you think you'd be able to get in contact with Tim?"

Jay is surprised by his forwardness. He thinks for a minute. Had Tim even answered his texts since the interview? Jay has to admit he was a little preoccupied to notice. He DID get kidnapped recently, after all. It takes him a minute to find the words to speak but he does.

"I can try? I mean, I haven't heard from him recently," Jay stutters out. Evan seems to be the only one to catch his sudden nervousness. He doesn't comment on it, thankfully, just going back to his eggs.

"I can call him after breakfast?" Jay offers, not sure how they will react. Evan does relax a bit, as does Jeff. There is probably a connection there but Jay is too tired to think about it. Jeff nods appreciatively. They sit in silence for the rest of the meal. Jay washes all the dishes as the others go to the spare room to talk. Soon, he is standing outside the front door of his apartment with his phone pressed to his ear. The call rings out a couple of times and it fills Jay with a sense of dread he can't place.

"C'mon Tim, just pick up," Jay mumbles into the phone, as though Tim will magically hear him. He taps his foot anxiously and chews on one of his nails. The call keeps ringing. Then, it ends abruptly, telling Jay to leave a message.

He didn't pick up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1k words

Sorry for the shorter chapters! I want to keep them short at the start so I can get them out quicker while the story builds. Once things start to get interesting, the chapters should be longer!