eighteen

❤︎ chapter eighteen
daylight

cami's hands shook as she parked

cami's hands shook as she parked. she was so nervous that she wanted to turn right back around. she found herself pulling down the sun visor in her car and opening the mirror to check how she looked. she applied a layer of chapstick, and smoothed her hair. pinched her cheeks to give them more colour.

at austin's party, drew had asked her if she wanted to get coffee with him. as friends, he had added on hastily when she hesitated. and something about the way they had danced made her say yes.

now she was regretting it. the thought on the forefront of her mind was: should i get back together with him?

but then she took a deep breath. relax, she thought. drew doesn't expect anything from this—he probably half expects me not to show up. it doesn't mean anything.

she got out of the car before she could think about it any longer, locking it twice to be safe. as she walked down the street to the cafe, she caught a glimpse of herself in the glass store windows; she wore a white babydoll top, jean shorts, and vintage reeboks with short scallop-edged socks. her brown hair was air-dried and wavy in a half-up half-down style. she had curled her lashes, but ended up only putting vaseline on them.

cami tentatively opened the door to the shop and stepped inside as if a bomb was going to detonate. she scanned the room for a sign of drew.

drew had gotten there early. he was even more nervous than cami, and his arms kept crossing and uncrossing, his fingers tapping his biceps—anxious movements of his.

it was two minutes past the time they had said when he heard the door open. immediately, he noticed cami, her head turning as she presumably looked for him. he unfolded himself from the chair that was too small for his body and came over, a bright smile taking over his face when she looked at him.

"hi!" cami said quickly, finding a smile spreading across her own face simply because he looked happy.

"hey," he gave her a side hug—it wasn't awkward, surprisingly, just comforting, "i got us a table."

they sat, and ordered coffee and pastries. "so, how's work?" cami asked, looking across the small table at her ex-fiancé. who she thought looked very, very handsome in a dark grey-black short sleeve that showcased his toned arms.

"we actually officially wrapped filming for outer banks yesterday, so that was... yeah. travelled a bit this summer for filming." he shifted slightly, crossing his arms and resting his forearms on the edge of the table comfortably. "how's work for you? i remember... i know you were working really hard."