1 - Spring Will Always Come

Alcod Odremire was a young and dashing prince, that there used to be an old saying about his hair as valuable as gold and that his eyes were more priceless than gems.

  He's always had admirers wherever he goes. Strangers would often come up to him whenever he doesn't dress like his status.
  Girls his age would compete over him, and even old ladies would marvel at his gentle manners when he strolls along down the streets and bows at them.

  During that memorable period of his life, he was at the peak of his youth. Everyone was drawn to him akin to how moths were drawn to the light.

  At least, that was how he was simply like. The prince himself awakened from his peaceful slumber in the carriage he rode.

  He was no longer 18, he had aged like fine wine, and still managed to look like he was in his early 30s when he was in fact, in his 40s.

  His sight slowly adjusted to the colors around him, only to squint his eyes because of the bright window beside him. The sky was grey, and it was autumn in Aregold.

  The moving scenery of nature's creation never seemed to amaze him. Back when he was in his prime, he was always looking forward to newfound adventures and the like.

  The bright golden color of the desert every time he went there, and also the pink cherry blossoms that fell on water were some of the things he was always in awe of.

  He guessed it was part of the perks of being a prince. But he was no prince now. Not that it mattered.

  That young, dashing prince from 20 years ago was ultimately erased off the face of earth.

  He was better off dead, something his own family would say behind his back when he was a lot more naive and younger.

  Every time he remembers the life he had abandoned at the palace, he could only think of how pathetic he was back then. How pathetic.

  "How are you faring, my dear lord? Do you feel parched? Perhaps unwell?"
  The voice prompted him to raise his head and met eyes with his butler, Naziri. A young man with chocolate skin and curly, neat hair as white as vanilla.

  "Not at all. I feel perfectly fine."

  "If my Lord says so."
  His loyal butler flashed a smile in his direction as he looked at the scenery from the window of the carriage.

  "Does Milord have something in his mind?"

  Alcod hummed in response, lost in thought as he gave soft rubs to his chin. There was indeed something in his mind. The issue lies with his wifeless nephew.

  As much as he would have wanted for him to take it slow, the other monarchs will sting them first for bearing no heir. But there wasn't anyone out there fit for the role.

  They can't just go ahead and appoint someone too.
  "The other families have already appointed their heirs, am I right?"

  Naziri stared at his master, and mumbled his confirmation. As a butler, he knew this was a problem the other families won't dare to overlook.

  The thought of them butting into their own family affairs was infuriating. He could frown just thinking of it.

  "I'm afraid the other monarchs won't overlook this small matter. They are aware that Lord Norrion recently suffered the loss of his wife."

  "I'd say there isn't a need to worry so much about the heads' opinions. But the elders certainly won't miss the chance to point this out, I'm afraid."

  "Will you really be overseeing the christening of Odremires' heirs, the twins?
  "What made you agree to Mistress Thialine's request? If you don't mind sharing of course, my lord."