|2|

THE WINDS HISSED past my ears as I brought my scarf up to my face, wrapping it snugly around my neck. Winters in Belmont could be particularly horrendous, and that evening was no exception.

Stepping onto the pavement, I pressed my thumb on the key clicker. The sound of my car doors unlocking echoed into the air.

I settled into the driver's seat and flipped down the visor, peering into the mirror. I checked my face- a subtle hint of pink on my cheeks and my red lips appeared bright and full.

Perfect!

Staring out of the windshield at the overcast sky, a terrifying thought slipped into my mind.

The game will start soon. I hope you're prepared.

A sense of gloom and terror drifted over me. My heart rate paced up a bit, and I could feel the sweat accumulating in my pores. However, I tried to shake the feeling.

Trish, it's probably some stupid prank by one of the local college students!

Listening to my inner voice, I pushed the letters out of my mind like yesterday's trash. I turned my focus to the company party and how much fun it would be—knowing that my spirits would liven up after one glass of champagne or two.

Settling into my car, I turned the key and gently pressed my foot on the accelerator, revving the engine. I headed to Leonard's Steakhouse, where our company was hosting our end-of-the-year celebration.

***

Slowly, I drove past the restaurant, glancing inside as if I were some private detective in search of a fugitive. But the only thing I was in search of was a measly parking spot. 

Noticing the open concept, I glanced further inside. The atmosphere was inviting, and the ambiance appeared warm. Bright-lighted chandeliers hung from the ceilings and were visible from the outside contributing to its appeal. 

A few individuals sat at their dinner tables, laughing as they conversed with one another. Others were clinking their wine glasses and sipping their bubbly champagnes.

I continued to scan the parking lot until I found a spot to park. I muttered, "Yes!" when I found one right in front of the restaurant. I cautiously navigated my car into it.

I twisted the key, turning off the ignition. Butterflies floated in my stomach. I was ready to go inside and mingle with my workmates and some of our clients.

My company, along with clients who were invited by the CEO, enjoyed a private dinner at the rear section of the restaurant. The area had been reserved exclusively for our group that evening. We found ourselves in a spacious room, complete with a generous-sized patio. Heat warmers were positioned along the center, and warm LED lights illuminated the deck as they streamed across the fence. The atmosphere exuded elegance with a modern flair.

"Trish!" someone called out with a slight accent. Turning toward the voice, I saw a short woman with long black hair. It was one of our clients, Giselle, from La Azteca. Her family owned a large restaurant chain on the west coast.

"Giselle!" I replied, a smile weaved onto my face. "It's so nice to meet you in person." She wrapped her arms around me, embracing me in a warm hug.

"Yes, it's so nice to meet you as well." A smile etched across her face. We spoke briefly about her family's business and how they had plans to expand to the Midwest and East Coast, which was great news for our company because it'd give us a ton more business.

As I made my rounds catching up with my co-workers and new and old clients, I decided it was time for me to sit back and relax. I found a quiet spot on the patio. I slid onto the bench and enjoyed a glass of champagne while gazing at the night stars.

I spotted Lena as she headed toward my table. She wore a beige skirt, a black ruffled blouse, and sleek black high heels. She settled across from me on the dark wood bench.

"Hey, Trish!" Lena smiled. "How are you enjoying the party?"

"I think this was a lovely idea." I began."It's finally nice to see our clients in person instead of over Zoom."

"I agree." Lena folded her arms on the table.

"So, how's everything with you and Dave?"

"Oh, everything is perfect, Trish!" Lena exclaimed."He surprised me with a steak dinner last night and bought us tickets to the spa for full-body massages." Lena's cheeks turned a slight red as she blushed.

"That's amazing!" I smiled.

"Yes, he's stepping up." Lena added."He told me he'd do anything not to lose me, so he's been trying."

Lena and I finished our conversation, and the party was just about done. After saying goodbye to everyone, the letters from yesterday surfaced back into my head, jolting me into an anxious state. I trembled. 

Walking to my car, I caught Lena strolling to hers, which wasn't too far from mine.

"Lena!"I called out. She quickly turned and faced me.

"Do you have any idea who sent those letters yesterday?" I inquired with my brows raised.

"No, I don't know," Lena said, clueless. "Why? Is everything alright?" She asked concerningly.

I shook my head. "No." I answered truthfully."The letters are creepy. It was as if the person who sent them saw me. They were watching me."

"What?!" Lena's eyes widened. "What did the letters say?" She was now heavily invested.

"Well, it said something to the effect of ′you'll wish you never knew me, ′ and they also said ′the game will start soon'," I explained.

"Whoa!"Lena shook her head."That does sound pretty creepy." She then squinted her eyes as she went into deep thinking and placed her finger on her chin.

"It's probably those darn college kids!"She exclaimed. "I recall a few of my mom's neighbors getting creepy letters from the college kids in October last year. They thought they'd play a scary game with the old folks in the community since Halloween was around the corner."

"How awful!" I furrowed my brows. "What happened?" I asked. "Did the letters eventually stop?"

Lena nodded."Yes, they did stop. I know a few neighbors went to the police, but the police couldn't do much." She shrugged.

I breathed out a sigh of relief. "Well, I surely hope I don't receive any more."

Lena gave me a few words of encouragement and even suggested I go to the police if needed. After I said goodbye, I got into my car and settled inside. Many different thoughts were now crossing my mind, but I tried to throw them out of my consciousness.

I started my car and drove off, hoping the letters would never enter my life again, but that hope went unfulfilled.