The Art Piece

Xaviers POV

I smoothened out his suit once more before stepping out of the car. My bodyguards flanked me as we entered the towering building. My eyes had to readjust from the inky darkness of the night to the blinding brilliance of the auction house's lights.

As I entered, I was immediately overwhelmed by the opulence. The crowd was a sea of extravagant attire and excess makeup, parading through the space. Multicolored jewels adorned beautiful chandeliers hanging from the high ceilings. Laughter and conversation echoed around the large bar, where patrons ordered drinks at exorbitant prices. Uniformed servers scurried about, offering delicacies and cocktails, occasionally proffering hot towels to guests. Security personnel stood sentinel at every entry and exit point, ensuring the safety of the event. High above them all, a massive sign announced, 'ANNUAL AUCTION,' its placement defying gravity.

My sightseeing was interrupted by a friendly clap on the back. I turned to see Damien, my close friend since high school. A smile spread across my face as I hugged Damien. Our bond had been unbreakable since those school days, especially since my parents had tragically passed away two years ago. I owed much of my success and emotional support to Damien.

"Surprised to see you here early," I remarked, playfully. Damien was notorious for his fashionably late entrances, but he always managed to steal the spotlight.

Damien chuckled, his eyes scanning the extravagant surroundings. "Couldn't resist an event as grand as this, Xavier. Besides, I wanted to make sure you had some good company."

My gaze flickered, a subtle sense that something was amiss tugging at the edges of his awareness. I dismissed it for now, content to enjoy Damien's presence amidst the dazzling extravagance of the auction house.

I appreciated Damien's presence, especially in a place like this. As Damien and I weaved through the bustling crowd, I couldn't help but notice the way my friend effortlessly charmed the people we passed. Damien always had a way of making everyone feel important, and it wasn't long before they were surrounded by a group of acquaintances and admirers. 

As the evening wore on, I found myself drawn into conversations about art, history, and the various items on display. A certain art piece caught my eye. It was a tree. The colors used in the painting were vibrant and inviting. I was pretty sure that almost every color mentionable was included in this piece. The lushus leaves led down to the darker roots of the tree in a gradient form. It somewhat reminded me of my life. What used to be once vibrant had now dulled down into a melancholy stillness. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen," the auctioneer's voice boomed over the crowd, drawing everyone's attention to the stage at the front of the room. The chatter and laughter gradually subsided, replaced by an air of anticipation. People started moving to take their seats as the auction was about to begin. I chose a seat closer to the stage with Damien by my right. 

I watched as several art pieces and artifacts were bidded off at extensive prices. None of them caught my eye so I sat by patiently as I waited for the piece that I desired. 

I heard the auctioneer announce, "Tree of Hope" and my eyes immediately turned to the art I had admired previously. The bidding began, and the room came alive with the rapid fire of numbers. I watched as the price climbed higher and higher, my heart pounding with each new bid. My determination to acquire the art remained unwavering.

As the bidding war escalated, Damien leaned over and whispered, "Are you sure about this, Xavier? It's going for an astronomical price." I nodded once, my eyes never leaving the stage. 

The auctioneer's voice grew more fervent as the price reached an almost unthinkable amount. My competition seemed relentless, but I was determined not to be outdone. I raised my paddle, signaling my latest bid, and held my breath.

The room fell into a tense silence as the auctioneer declared, "Going once, going twice..."

And then, in that electrifying moment, the hammer fell, and the art piece was mine. A surge of relief washed over me, mixed with a sense of triumph. I slumped back in my seat and breathed a sigh of relief. Damien simply chuckled by my side. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night had progressed, and the auction was finally over. With the prized art piece securely crated and ready to be transported to my home, I made my way toward the exit, weaving through the remaining guests. Damien and I exchanged a few parting words with acquaintances, and I could feel the weight of the evening's events finally starting to lift.

As we approached the exit, the grand entrance doors loomed ahead. My car was parked just outside, waiting to carry the newly acquired artwork safely to its new home. I had planned to personally ensure its careful placement in the car.

However, just as I reached for the door handle, a sudden collision sent a shockwave through me. I stumbled backward, as I lost my grip on the art piece. Everything seemed to be silent except for the shattering of glass which rang in my ears. I had gone utterly stiff for a few seconds, I couldn't bring myself to check the extent of damage that had occurred to the portrait. 

The space around him was a blur as the guests reacted to the unexpected crash. Murmurs of shock and dismay filled the air, and Xavier could feel the weight of everyone's eyes on him. He knew that this was a disaster that couldn't be ignored, and it would likely be the talk of the art world for days to come.

His gaze shifted to the person who had bumped into him, the source of this catastrophe. The young man's eyes were wide with horror, and he repeated meaningless apologies over and over, his voice trembling with guilt. 

"I-I'm so sorry sir, please, I'm deeply sorry. I wasn't l-looking where I was going a-and I didn't see you, and I was in a hurry." He rambled on.  

I fixed him with a piercing gaze; the anger and frustration in my eyes immediately shut him up. "Do you think that apologizing is going to fix anything right now?" My voice was low, as much as I was upset and wanted to scream at him about how much money that cost me and how important the painting was, I didn't want to cause a bigger scene than what had already transpired. 

He bowed his head. "I am sorry, I'll do anything to make it up to you; anything at all, sir." 

I gave him a one-over before asking, "Anything?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Woohoo!! The first chapter is completed. I hope you guys like it so far.