Introduction

Introduction

I chucked the last bag in the back of the pick up truck, a sharp pain shooting through my shoulder as I flung the bag over the side. "Come, on, Katie," I shouted out to the emptying house, clenching my jaw trying to ignore it. We had packed all we could; clothes and imperishables, and whatever else we could find. There wasn't much left in the house at this point, most of it had been sold years ago, but we still had our clothes and some food. Katie emerged from the house, a rucksack over her back as she huffed, her wild curling hair a mess as she tried to shove it out of her face. I smirked at my younger sister. "Got everything?"

"Yes," nodded Katie. "I just wished we could stay."

"It will be better to be around other people," I said.

"Yeah." She looked through the front window. "Where's dad?"

I frowned. "Is he not back yet?"

"I don't know. I haven't seen him." I bit my lip nervously and Katie raised her brows. "We can't leave him," she said harshly ready to argue. She was always ready to argue, always ready to fight. 

"We won't," I assured. "We'll wait."

Katie and I made sure everything was packed, the two of us going through our dad's belongings in his tip of a room and deciding what he would want. When the sun was beginning to set, we moved onto the sofa downstairs, Katie reading a book out loud to me. I didn't mean to, but I let my eyes rest shut, but by the time I opened them, the night sky was pitch black. Katie was passed out asleep next to me, leaning into my side. I smiled at my slumbering sister as I carefully pushed myself off the sofa, trying not to disturb her. I often forgot how much my sister had grown. She was just a teenager, still a child. I rolled my neck from the awkward position, walking towards the window when I froze. My dad's car was parked out front, he was back, but where was he?

I moved around the downstairs of the house, peering into each room, but each was empty. Sighing, I looked up towards the stairs. He had to be up there. Deciding I should wake him, I made my way back to where Katie slept and shook her shoulder. "Hey," I whispered.

Katie grumbled to herself as she pried her sleepy eyes open. "What?"

"Dad's back. I'm gonna grab him and we'll head off."

"Now?" She questioned.

I nodded. "Yeah, it's not safe here anymore. I'd rather go as soon as possible."

Katie nodded sleepily.

"Make your way to the car and wait for us inside. I'll be two minutes," I said. "You can sleep in the car."

"Alright," Katie said, pushing herself off the sofa and shuffling out the room, unable to pick her feet up properly.

I sighed again as I watched my younger sister disappear through the doorway. I didn't want to wake dad, I knew what I would have to deal with but I had no choice. We had to leave this house. With just the three of us, it was practically haunted with odd creaks and noises, I was scared all the time and I knew Katie was, too. She just would never dare to admit it. Despite everything that had happened over the past months, dad kept driving to the local town to clear out the bar no matter how many times I had told him it was reckless. But he didn't care. He never listened to what I had to say. I steeled herself, taking a steadying breath before moving up each creaking step at a time.