eleven - slim to none .

TW: Guns

TW: Guns.

"Ry," a voice hissed into her ear, shaking her gently back and forth, "Ry. Your turn."

Rylee's eyes reluctantly blinked open as she was shaken awake. She blearily peered up at the tired face of Pope, who was crouched beside her. Letting out a sigh, she nodded as she pushed herself up into a sitting position and stretched her arms high above her head. 

After fleeing the Château in the middle of the night, their welcome home party cut short at the arrival of Rafe and Barry, the Pogues had argued incessantly on what to do and where to go. The only thing that was clear was that they couldn't stay at the Château, not when Rafe or Barry could come back. In hindsight, Sarah had been right about the party being a stupid idea. 

It wasn't until Rylee threw up over the side of the HMS Pogue, JJ holding her hair back as she did, that they finally managed to agree that they shouldn't go too far. It was late and they were all at various levels of intoxicated. Kiara suggested they go to Rixon's, take turns keeping watch and try to get some sleep before tackling the issue again in the morning. 

Rylee had lucked out by getting to sleep the longest consecutive period of time, taking the final watch in the morning. She exchanged places with Pope, instantly losing the warmth of Kiara and John B's bodies, who she had been tucked between. She walked up and down the length of the small stretch of beach beneath the cove in an attempt to wake herself up. She was halfway between still drunk and hungover, both nauseous and suffering from a cloudy head. Even the waves quietly crashing along the shore felt too loud for her.

Collapsing down to a sitting position on the shore, Rylee cast a quick glance behind her at the forms of her sleeping friends. She wanted more than anything to figure out what she could do to fix everything, to solve their problems and allow their lives to go back to normal. She wondered what life would be like if they'd never gotten involved with the gold, gotten wrapped in the Cameron's family crimes. They wouldn't have all gotten so hurt, both physically and emotionally, and their guts wouldn't ache with the reality of how much gold they had both found and lost. Maybe she never would have been taken away from Kildare, maybe everything with JJ would be okay. Eyes falling to the restlessly sleeping blonde boy on the far end of the Pogues, Rylee's heart clenched painfully in her chest.