Chapter 7 - Upgrading Our Decks

[Word count - 1,053]

A few days later...

Location - Heartland City, Card Shop

Your POV

I managed to make it onto the dueling team for the upcoming school battle. It's only a month away, and I have to get ready for it as soon as possible. To do that, I decided to head over to the card shop, and buy some new cards, hoping to upgrade my deck.

"Let's see... which pack should I buy today?" I said while looking at the display case.

There were so many options it was hard to pick one of them. While looking through the packets, I heard a voice from behind me.

"Fancy running into you here."

I looked up, and I felt my heart skip a beat. Standing behind me was Ruri.

"Oh, hi Ruri." I said with a smile. "Are you here to get some new cards as well?"

"That's right, and I take it you're doing the same?" She asked in response.

"I am!" I replied. "I got an important match coming up next month, and I want to be ready for it as much as possible."

"An important match, huh? Who are you going to be up against?" Ruri asked.

"Well, ummm... I don't know. We don't have all of the details as of right now." I said.

"Well, whoever you're up against, make sure to do your best." Ruri said, still smiling at me. "You already are an incredible duelist."

"Me? An incredible duelist?"

I began to blush thanks to Ruri's kind words.

"Well, I don't know about that." I chuckled. "I would have to say that I am an average duelist at best."

"An average duelist?! I saw your duel against Kai-san, and it was amazing that you were able to defeat him, too."

"Well, that is true, but..."

"But what?"

"I think Kai was holding back for some reason." I pointed out. "After all, he did had a facedown that he didn't use."

"That is true... I did notice that as well."

But Ruri shrugged it off as she continued talking. 

"But let's not worry about the past, let's focus on the present, and upgrade our decks, okay?" She smiled. 

"Yeah, you're right." 

Ruri and I bought a couple of packets from the card shop, and I almost went broke because I paid for her stuff as well. But to be honest, I thought it was worth it. Once we got them, we sat down at the table, and began to open them. I just hope I can get some new dragons for my deck, as well as spells and traps that works well with them. 
____________________________________________

A few minutes later... 

I looked at the new cards I got from the pack, and to be honest, I feel like my search was a bust. But the cards themselves aren't bad, though. I do have a collection of other cards in case I ever want to make a different deck. 

"Did you get some good cards?" Ruri asked. 

"Yeah, I guess I did." I replied and let out a sigh. 

"Well, you're in luck because I found this card, and I think it goes well with your deck."

She handed me the card, and I got a good look at it. 

"Dark Corruption Dragon..." 

After reading the effect, it looks like I need to use Dark Virus Dragon as a summoning condition, and the effects seems... unusual. It's lucky that I even have a Dark Virus Dragon to begin with, but this is a rare card... What's a rare card like this doing inside a normal card packet like this? 

"Well? What do you think?" She asked. 

"It looks cool." 

"Well, you can have it if you want." Ruri said as she looks at me with a smile. 

"But you got this card, Ruri." I protested a little. "I don't want to take it from you." 

"Trust me, it's perfectly okay." 

Ruri placed her hand on top of mine, and I start to blush a little bit. I can see a small blush on her face as well. However, the moment was interrupted when someone walked into the card shop and glared at Ruri. 

"Ruri!" 

"Brother?" 

Brother? I didn't know Ruri has a brother, and judging by the look on his face, I wouldn't want to mess with this guy. 

"Ruri, didn't I tell you to come home about 20 minutes ago?" He asked.

"Come on, brother, you know why I came to the card shop today..." Ruri replied. "It's so I can get ready for the school battle against Blazier!" 

Hearing that shattered my heart to pieces... to think, this whole time I'm going to go put against Ruri and her brother in the school battle... 

"Oh yeah? Are you sure it's for the school battle, or is it that you're going on a date with this boy?" He asked as I could see the rage in his eyes.

"Really brother? Do you hear yourself?" Ruri snapped a little bit. "How could you think this is a date when I already have Yuto?!" 

Yuto? Who's that? 

"Not to mention that (Y/N) is an incredible duelist, and managed to defeat Kai-san when he defeated me!" 

It's nice to know that Ruri is standing up for me, but I feel like there are too many questions here... Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to ask her, as her brother looked at me and came closer. 

"So, you're able to defeat Kai, huh?" He asked. 

"Well, yeah, I guess I did, but I also got lucky, too." I said.

"I see. Well, my name is Kurosaki Shun, and if you don't mind, I want to test your skills in a duel against me." He said. 

Now I am being forced to duel against Shun now... I don't know if I should, but at the same time, this gives me a chance to test out my new card. And I would be a disgrace to all duelists if I were to run away from a challenge. 

"Alright, Kurosaki Shun, I accept your challenge." I said with my game face on.

"That's what I want to hear."

To be continued

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you guys liked it and I'll see you in the next one. :)