"This is speaking."
'This is thoughts.'

She ran through the hallways, stopping now and then to check behind corners for any guards. Her footsteps were light and only made a quiet slapping sound against the floor. Her breath was quick and her fingers were fidgety. She jumped up to look through windows at the top of doors, trying to peek in to see if what she needed was inside.

"Alright." She whispered out as she found the armoury room. Luckily for her, no guards were in the room so she took the keycard and let herself in. She moved her head left and right as she scanned the room with her eyes. Quickly, she opened a glass case and took out a small metal pistol; the gun was as big as her hand and only had room for a few bullets. She pulled on the draws and searched each one for bullets, eventually, she found the right ones. She opened a cupboard, took out a black backpack and began to fill it with everything she found. She scanned the room again and saw some clothes and a pair of boots. As fast as she could, she put them on over the clothes that she was already wearing; she felt herself begin to warm up and stop shivering from the cold.

She slung the straps of the backpack over her shoulders and bounced on the tip of her toes a couple of times, trying to get used to the feeling of wearing shoes

She slung the straps of the backpack over her shoulders and bounced on the tip of her toes a couple of times, trying to get used to the feeling of wearing shoes. She opened the door and slowly looked up and down the corridor. Still no sign of any guards, it was her lucky day. She started towards where her room was, she was going to get the little girl.

She turned a corner and soon found herself standing in front of the girl's door. She, again, looked up and down the corridor and listened for any incoming footsteps. She turned back towards the door and pushed the keycard against the scanner. The door swung open and she rushed in. The little girl had her back faced towards her and she was laid on her side on her mattress, eyes closed. She pushed her hand against her shoulders, trying to wake her up. The girl suddenly jolted up, eyes wide and fearful. The young girl scrambled back until her back hit the wall, the girl didn't know who she was.

"Hey, hey! It's me!" She reassured quickly and calmly, her palms spread out in front of her.

The girl's eyebrows furrowed before shooting up in surprise, she recognised her voice.

"Its... it's- !"

"Yes, it's me." She nodded, "Come on, let's go! Quickly!"

"What's happening?"

"Come on!"

The little girl scrambled to her feet, her eyes wide and unsure.

"What's happening!?"

"I'm getting us out of her, that's what's happening!"

The girl let out a shocked gasp and a big smile took over her face.

"You gotta be quiet though... so shhhh."

The girl nodded her head quickly and clenched her fingers on the end of the older girl's jacket. They rushed out of the door and she closed it quietly behind them. She led them down the hallways, searching for the exit.

"This way!"

The little girl suddenly pointed out.

She changed direction and pushed the little girl in front of her, unconsciously protecting her in case anyone came from behind. A light above them flickered, scaring both of them but they both carried on rushing down towards the door.

The door was right in front of them. Outside of it could either be the dark void that the leader had told her about or it could be the outside that the little girl described to her. Beyond the door, New York, loving parents and a new life could be waiting for her. Her shaky hand reached up with the key card gripped between her fingers. A beep was heard and the lock on the door opened. They both released a breath, she chucked in disbelief. She was about to do this. She pushed down on the door handle and pulled it towards her. A bright light blinded her, making her cover her squinted eyes. A soft warm gust of breeze caressed her face, her eyelashes fluttered in delight. But then, they shot open.

'I'm not dead...' She thought in disbelief.

She looked down to the little girl, grabbed onto her hand and started running. The girl yelled out in surprise but started to giggle. They zigzagged through trees, jumped over muddy puddles and fallen trees. The wind pushed against them but the pushed back. Their laughs rang out and big smiles covered their faces. They found themselves in a wide field, the grass reached her waist but covered the little girl's face; the girl jumped up and down trying to see over the tall grass. She let go of her hand and fiddled with the ends of her sleeves, her lips quivered.

"Well..." She whispered, "Where to?"

The girl shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know, I think we should walk forwards until we find a town."

"Cool, ok." She nodded her head a put one foot in front of the other and started to walk, the little girl followed after her.