Dawn of the Counterattack

Private David Johnson sighed as he finished his patrol. He had spent nearly all night walking around the outskirts of the small village they were occupying and now he just wanted to get some sleep.

When he enlisted as a soldier for the U.S. Army, he never thought he'd be sent to another dimension! The notion would have been unthinkable just a few months ago, yet here he was, near the front lines, making sure that none of those frog robots snuck up on them.

David waved to a couple other soldiers as he made his way into the town. Jacob Rodgers, another private that was assigned to the night patrol, bumped his shoulder as he walked into one of the buildings set aside for the soldiers to sleep in. "Long night, eh?"

"Tell me about it." David replied back, feeling relieved to finally have a few hours of rest.

"Ya know, the Commanders say the war will be done soon." Jacob continued, laying on the sleeping mat next to David's. "There's been a little bit of trouble over the mountains thanks to that Waybright girl, but the rest of the continent should capitulate within a month or two."

"Is that so?" David responded dryly as he tried to fall asleep. He was not in the mood for conversation.

Jacob didn't seem to get the message as he just continued to ramble on. "Did you know that she's only fourteen years old? Makes you wonder if the aliens here did something to her head that made her want to help them."

"Maybe." David yawned, turning his back on the other man.

"I mean, why would a human, one of us, want to help a bunch of freaks? They were gonna invade us for Pete's sake! We're saving the world right now!" Jacob exclaimed.

"Uh huh..." David mumbled.

"Oh hey, did you hear the rumors? Apparently, the FBI is working on making some kind of super weapon that's powerful enough to take down the flying castle. I'm not sure if they're true, but imagine the damage something like that could do to—!"

"Will you shut up?!" David yelled, sitting up to glare at the other man. "I don't care what kind of weapon the FBI is supposedly making! All I want to do is get through this, go home, and see my family!" He sighed. "Look, I get it. We're all excited to be in another dimension but if you say one more word, I'm gonna punch you in the throat, got it?!"

Jacob stared at him in shock. "Sorry, bro. I didn't mean to—"

BOOM

The ground shook violently as a massive explosion sounded out in the distance. Without sparing Jacob a look, David immediately threw on his gear and rushed outside. Everywhere he looked, people were scrambling to ready their defenses. David rushed over to the Lieutenant of his platoon who was barking out orders left and right. "Sir, what's going on?"

His superior turned to look at him. His face looked calm but his hands shook nervously. "Some kind of blue laser just took out a large chunk of the frontline. We're still working out the details."

"Sir, according to the radar, several large objects appear to be heading our way." One of the other soldiers announced.

David turned his gaze toward where the frontline was situated. The sun had only just begun to rise which didn't allow him to see much beyond the village his platoon was currently stationed at. "What are our orders, sir?"

"Hold your positions for now. We don't know exactly what the enemy is planning yet, but we need to be ready to engage at a moment's notice."

"Yes, sir." David saluted before running to meet up with the rest of his squad just outside of the village's boundaries. He grimaced when he saw Jacob was already there, conversing with their Staff Sergeant.