Chapter 19 A Punch From the Past

Alan watched with curiosity and some surprise as Ray and the other man hugged, roughly but affectionately patting each other's backs.

"You old dog," Ray said, stepping back and grinning from ear to ear. "You look the same."

"It's only been two years, kid," the man said. "How you doing?"

"I'm doing," Ray said, with a doleful half smile.

"Yeah," the man, patting Ray on the cheek with a sense of understanding.

Clapping the man on the shoulder, he turned to introduce Alan. "This is Cash," Ray said. "My old roping partner. Taught me everything I know."

"About roping," the man said, holding out his hand. "I'm not taking the blame for the rest."

Alan laughed, and as they clasped hands, he got his first good look at the man. He was older, by about five to ten years, with swarthy skin, a stocky build, and a crooked nose. A black cowboy hat was pushed back on his high forehead, and a black shirt stretched over a slight stomach to tuck into snug jeans.

"You mean credit, my friend," Ray said. "Trouble and I have parted ways."

"Don't lie in front of your friends," Cash said, making Alan laugh and Ray click his tongue. He glanced behind him. "Speaking of trouble, best not linger tonight. We're on our way back from a ride in Houston that he lost, and he's a little drunk. If he sees you—"

Alan glanced at Ray, but he already seemed to know who Cash was talking about, because he nodded and said hurriedly, "There's a diner in town, meet me tomorrow and we can catch up."

Cash nodded and they shook hands again, but as he turned back, the lounge door opened and another man stepped out, stumbling on the pavement, and slurring as he called loudly for Cash. Dressed in much the same way as the other man, he turned, and his eyes found Cash. Then they slid to the two people with him.

All the blood rushed to Ray's head, then drained out at the sight of the man. He opened suddenly dry lips. "Aus—"

Before he could finish, the man ran and tackled him to the ground with a loud, ferocious growl.

Caught in the midriff, most of the air left Ray's body in a forceful whoosh, then what was left was knocked out as his back collided with the ground. Before Alan or Cash could stop him, the man sat up, straddled Ray's waist, grabbed him by the collar, and landed a heavy blow on Ray's cheekbone.

"You son of a bitch!" he yelled cocking his arm back for another.

"Austin!" Cash yelled, wrapping his arms around the cocked arm to stop it.

"Let me go!" Austin shouted. "The bastard deserves it, after what he and that other bastard did! He can take the beating for both of them!"

By this time Alan had overcome his shock to intervene, and together he and Cash struggled and finally managed to drag Austin off Ray. Seeing stars and wheezing for breath, Ray rolled onto his side, reaching out to hold on to Alan, who hurried to kneel beside him.

"Austin!" Cash yelled.

"Don't Austin me!" he shouted, struggling against Cash's restraining hold. "The two of you ruined my sister's reputation, my family's good name, and then you and him get to disappear in the middle of the night to live your happily ever after?"

"I didn't disappear," Ray said hoarsely. He coughed and spat out a mouthful of blood. "I went to find him."

"Find him?" Austin asked, pulling against Cash like a tied bull. "Find him? Ha! The coward ran away from you, too? I'll tell you what, Steele, I hope you do find him, and I want you to bring him back, bring him back to face the consequences of his actions. To look the people he threw away—to look my sister in the face and tell her why!"