Hack-Jack

Hack-Jack

By SallyMason1

I'm perched on John's shoulder as he races across the field. A full moon lights the night and the air is warm from the wind coming from the South. For a moment, the young boy turns around and squints through the lingering steam from the steam engine.

"They are getting closer, Hack-Jack. What should I do?"

"You need to drive faster, Master. The town is just behind the next bend."

"But then I lead them straight home to Ma and Paps. It will be better if we hide." John jerks the steering bar of his black steam cycle around and guides us toward the forest. Darkness soon swallows us up. John gets off the steam cycle and ducks down behind the bushes close to the tree line.

I hold my breath. Will the King's soldiers find us?

"They are here," John whispers. "Be very quiet."

The click-click of my metallic heart fills my ears. I'm so scared, but Master John will protect me. I slide off his shoulder and into his arms. He hugs me closer. Our hearts race in unison.

I count twenty soldiers. They are members of the ghost army, the worst kind. Their green skeletons glow in the darkness and their yellow-lit eyes shine with bad intent.

"How did they get away?" the biggest of the soldiers yells.

"They could be hiding in the forest, my lord."

Oh, no, they can't find us, I cry in my head.

"Nonsense." The big soldier laughs. "He was just a little boy with his bird toy. The town folks know that the woods are haunted. They would never have the courage to go in there."

I look around the trees. The forest seems to be alive and a crawly feeling runs down my spine.

"Don't worry, I will protect you," says John, hugging me closer.

I relax in his arms.

"They must have driven to town." Anger trembles in the voice of the soldier. "The King will be furious if we cannot find the toy after he outlawed all the bird toys."

"We could search the town," another soldier suggests.

"Nonsense. That takes too long. We will set the whole town on fire and I am sure that will flush them out."

"But my lord—"

"Hush if you know what's good for you. Let's move on."

The soldiers continue on their path.

John stares at me with wide eyes. "This is bad. You have to fly and warn them, Hack-Jack."

"But Master, I cannot leave you. What if the soldier was right and the forest is haunted. The ghosts—"

"Don't worry, Hack-Jack, I will be fine. We both have to be brave. That's what Paps always says." He winds me up with the big key in my side. "Fly to the center of town and ring the bell in alarm. That will awake everyone."

"Yes, Master."

Eagerly, I soar up into the sky. Flapping my wings, I fly straight in the direction of my home. The click-click of my heart is faster now. I am worried that I might be too late, and I am worried about John. He is all alone in the darkness.

But we have to be brave.

I shoot through the night, the houses of the town coming closer. I am almost there. Just a few more wing flaps and the first houses come into view.

"Oh, no, the soldiers have almost reached the town, too." My shout goes unanswered; John is too far away.

Be brave.

Even though the quick movement of my wings hurts me from the strenuous effort, I fly faster. I can't let John down. He is counting on me.

The bell in the town center glows in the moonlight and I swoop down, a bird on a mission.

"John, it's time to go to bed." Ma's demand stops me mid-flight.

"But Ma, Hack-Jack and I were in the middle of saving the town."

"That will have to wait until tomorrow. It is nine o'clock and you have school in the morning."

John grimaces and sets me on his nightstand. "Can you at least leave one of the lights on? It's always so scary being in the dark."

"John Matthew Calloway, you are nine years old. What did your father tell you about being brave?"

"Yes, I know." Tears sparkle in John's eyes, but he slips into bed without arguing.

Ma tousles his hair. "I know you miss him, but he will be home soon."

"Why does he always have to leave?"

"Because he has to bring toys to all the other children in the country. As the King's chosen toymaker, that is his job." Ma tucks the blanket closer around John. "And who knows? It is your birthday soon and he might make you a new bird."

Oh, no, not a new bird, I cry in my head.

"I only want Hack-Jack, but maybe Paps can clean him and oil him. It's getting harder to turn the key."

"I'm sure Paps can fix anything that is wrong with Hack-Jack. Now, go to sleep, young man."

"Yes, ma'am."

Ma blows the candles out in the lanterns, but when she gets to the last one, she leaves the light flickering.

"I love you, John."

"I love you too, Ma."

The door closes behind her and John sighs in his bed. I watch how his eyelids flutter as sleep claims him.

"Good night, Master." I smile at his small form, so grateful that his father made me especially for him. Then my gaze travels to the window.

Where were we? I ask in my head. Ah, yes, saving the town.

Plummeting down, I head straight for the bell in the center of town.

I'm brave and will save the town and my Master.