four

The bar was relatively full tonight. From behind the counter, you could spot only two empty tables. That was the fullest the bar has been in the last month. At the far back of the bar, you spotted Renjun already counting the tips he had earned and it was still midnight.

All the customers were busy chatting and enjoying their drinks. You found yourself craving some alcohol too, the need for an intoxicant substance was growing stronger and stronger, so you decided to mix just a little bit of something to treat yourself.

As you were filling in your glass, Renjun walked behind the counter and leaned close to your ear to speak, otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear him through the loud chatting of the customers. "Man, I think we are in heaven, I lost count of my tips and I'm not even high yet" he said and you giggled at him.

He noticed the bottle of vodka you were holding and nudged you on your forearm. "Hey, pour me some of that too" he asked and your response was to grab a glass from the shelf behind the counter and fill it with the toxic liquid.

You had barely stopped filling in the glass when Renjun grabbed it and downed the liquid in an instant. He placed the glass on top of the counter with a thud and licked his lips, savoring the bitter taste. "What's up with you and Mark?" Renjun asked you. You contemplated whether you should answer him or pretend you didn't hear him just to buy you some time. A good couple of seconds passed so you just caved in and answered him.

"I don't know. Go and ask him." you said in a tone filled with nonchalance, sipping on your drink.

Renjun rested his elbows on the counter, his eyes scanning the place around him. "He said the exact same fucking thing when I asked him about you. You can't be running in a vicious circle all the time. Just fuck it out, you're both acting like little kids" he said and you sighed at his scolding tone.

Renjun wasn't just your co-worker, he had also grown to become your best friend, a person you could talk to freely without fear of judgment because he always understood your intentions. Engulfed in your misery and loneliness, he was the person who helped you get back on your feet and have hope that things will somehow get slightly better. That sounds like something a friend would do.

You brought the glass to your lips to drink the last sip of vodka that was still inside, leaving it empty waiting to be filled with more of that toxic liquid. "You wanna know what, Renjun? Even though I hate the life I've made for myself, I enjoy having Mark in it. But I can't do what he asks me to do. I can't depend my entire life on him. I can count on him for some of it, yes, but starting anew with him? I don't know. I really don't. I'm not the kind of person you want to start a life with. I will fuck everything up. And he shouldn't count on me as much as he does. It's for the better. For both of us."

Renjun kept staring at you, waiting for your little rant to be over so that he could take his turn to speak. He gulped and looked at your burnt out figure. Your eyeballs were turning a bit crimson due to the line of cocaine you snorted earlier, even though you promised you'd wait until Mark came later, and the lack of sleep provided you with dark hues under your eyes and skin as pale as the moon.

"Look, Y/n," Renjun started and came a bit closer to you so that he wouldn't have to strain his vocal chords in order to be heard, "I see your point. And I understand exactly what you mean because I felt the same way when I came here. But in my case, I had nobody to lean on. I became an addict, left home and the rest of the story is familiar to you. But you and Mark have each other and, trust me, your future is looking way brighter than mine."

You looked into his eyes searching for honesty. Renjun has always been honest with you and you never doubted any of his words. He really cared about you. Mark too, as it seemed. And he was right. Living in a cheap motel, starving and working long hours to barely make ends meet, depending on drugs and more specifically on an exceptionally lovely drug dealer wasn't the life you imagined to have. But fate had different plans for you and now you ended up here, whatever this here is supposed to be.

Mark didn't seem to be ill-intentioned. From the very first moment you met him, he was protective and caring, he had always treated you nice. He spoke to you softly and touched you in a just as smooth way. But the life he was living wasn't that much better than yours; in fact, you could say it was even worse. He depended on you as much as you depended on him.

You didn't know what was the thing that made you keep a sort of distance from him. Emotional distance. Part of it might be because you weren't available to be fully devoted to him, because of fear that one day he would leave you, just like everyone else did. Part of it might be because the two of you weren't so different and two broken souls mending together doesn't necessarily make a fully healed one.

"I'll talk to him when I'm ready. I could do it later but I'm afraid I'll be too high to think rationally. Or maybe this will give me more insight, I don't know, I've never thought of it. Do you think clearer when you're high?" you asked Renjun but he was preoccupied, looking at the screen of his phone which radiated such brightness his eyes squinted as a reflex.

Scanning his features more carefully, you realized that the reason for his scrunched expression wasn't lying solely on the brightness of the screen. You took half a step closer to him and Renjun tilted his phone away from you, hiding the screen from your eyesight.

"What's wrong, Renjun?" you asked with worry lacing the tone of your voice. Renjun shook his head and put his phone away in his back pocket. "Mark won't be coming by later. Something came up, I'm afraid we're in trouble too. Listen, can you handle the bar for a couple hours by yourself? Mark needs some help" Renjun said, searching for his jacket underneath the counter.

Your eyes widened at Renjun's words and you felt your heartbeat racing and your fingertips trembling. "Is Mark okay? Tell me, is he okay?" your rising voice quivered, betraying the nervousness you felt.

Renjun squeezed your shoulder and pressed his lips together in an attempt of a reassuring smile. "Yes, he is alright. He's fine. He just needs some help with the cops. If you see anyone suspicious showing up, flash the stashes down the toilet, we don't want them finding anything. I'll be back soon."

With swift movements, Renjun turned his heel to walk out the bar in a hurry, muttering something under his breath that, due to your shocked and nervous state, you failed to hear, "How am I gonna save your ass this time, Mark?"