Entrance Exam

"Easton… if I can just get through this, I can finally break free," a teenage girl whispered to pump herself up during the entrance exam of Easton Magic Academy. She glanced to her side to see a boy with red hair staring intensely at her. He was shaking and sweating, looking like he wanted to say something to her. She decided it was best to shimmy away from him in the crowd.

He's strange… like he's never seen a girl before. Maybe he's nervous. Yeah.. let's go with that.

The girl ended up bumping into a hunched over figure who sported a large witch hat. They flopped to the side before swaying into a standing position. 

Another weirdo…

Next she bummed into a boy with bright blue hair. His eyes burned into her with annoyance, causing her to bow as an apology and quickly turn away.

A double liner?! Scary. Why am I constantly- her thoughts were interrupted when she saw another boy lifting an insane amount of weight rapidly. She turned away quickly as a shadow cast itself over her head.

Why can't anyone be normal!? I just want to pass through without issue and run away from that idiot Thane Ship. Just thinking about his face makes me sick. Once again, her thoughts were cut off by a hand wrapping itself around her forearm. It was the witch hat from earlier. It turned out to be a girl with an extremely pale face and large bags under her eyes. Her eyes burned bright blue like a star and even had star shaped pupils would have been pretty if there wasn't a looming shadow over her.

"A dark fate will befall you if you don't take two lefts, a right then one left." Her eyes suddenly became a very dull blueish gray before she turned away and shuffled away.

A dark fate to befall Kyri Delrose? What could be worse than being deemed fodder to be married off and never having your own life? Kyri couldn't imagine something worse, seeing as the exams started off with a written portion.

After the gruelling parts of the exam where the one boy who was lifting weights out did everyone, Kyri was now faced with a slab of earth infront of her.

A maze? Feeling the wall, she could tell there was a magic spell that would render her own plant magic useless. She didn't specialize with earth itself anyways. It was always strange to her but she supposed the magic she had worked best on trees and plants, leading to her wanting to become a herbalist.

"Wait, that girl said two lefts, a right and a left… does that mean she knew about the maze already?" It was possible, Kyri wasn't sure what to think of the stranger. But she didn't have much else to go on. Following her path on her left, another left, right… and left?!

The exit!

Kyri was amazed to see the exit and being able to avoid all the traps seemed crazy. She looked around to see only two other people. One was the two liner with blue hair and the other was witch hat. She twirled her fingers, wondering if she should thank witch hat for giving her directions out of the maze, but then it hit her.

How would she have known the directions? Kyri had never met someone who could use divination, the only one she ever heard of was a witch who disappeared many years ago who apparently for told of a great disaster. Divination was taught for sure, but most people did not respect those who could truly use it to its full extent.

That said, Kyri couldn't say thank you as witch hat looked like she was about to pass out. So Kyri thought she would wait until after they passed. Who knows, maybe they would be in the same dorm.

It was crazy when the crowd of teens yelled at the one boy who was lifting weights from before to go home after he burst through the walls of the maze. Kyri couldn't believe her eyes and just stood slack jawed as eventually the yells turned to murmurs as the headmaster appeared.