Chapter 4

Agatha

"What happened next? Did they then tell you what happens between a man and a woman?" Agatha enthusiastically pushed for answers.

Rosalie eagerly waved the fan. Whether it was due to the summer weather or the topic being spoken at hand, who could tell?

She licked her lips as if they were dry, whilst they were already smudged with lipstick. "I dare not share it with certainty, not when I have not experienced it myself."

The carriage that carried them shook as it took on a hump, and their heads almost butted against each other. Luckily the plushy seats cushioned them so that the rattling did not affect them much.

Rosalie cleared her throat and continued their conversation. The bumpy ride would not stop her. "All I know is that you touch each other to feel good, with your hands and even your lips."

Agatha's eyebrows lifted.

"Men know these things. They are not shielded like us women. Your husband shall lead you," Rosalie went on.

"And for a woman to get pregnant, what would have happened? Because I wonder how women in brothels can go years without being with child."

Rosalie shrugged. "Do not let a man reach his peak in you."

"What ever do you mean?"

"It is the climax. Where a man groans in pleasure and some substance is excreted from his loins. That can have you with child."

The carriage came to a halt, having arrived at their destination. They were at the gate of the Avondale manor.

The coachman driving the horses of the carriage said a few words to the men guarding the entrance before they parted the tall steel gates open.

The roadway to the manor was lined up with well-kept flowers and the spiraling green lawn that was backed by luscious dark trees.

"We have arrived," the coachman announced to them and jumped off. He placed the stairs by the carriage, and then waited for their exit.

Realizing that they were out of time sooner than she anticipated, Agatha grabbed Rosalie's arm. "You do not have to do this."

"My indecision on whether I should do it or not flitted the moment I set foot in this carriage belonging to the Avondale Manor." She emphasised the last words, reminding Agatha that just next to the carriage by the door stood the coachman who could hear them.

"You can achieve your dreams without the help of a man taking advantage of you," Agatha insisted.

"How so? A foreigner like me, who shall take me seriously?" Rosalie pushed off Agatha's hand. "I am poor in case you did not know. I find no joy in scrapping from penny to penny daily, being at the mercy of Madame Anne de Balbi's kindness. There is no problem in recognising that if I am to make it, I need a helping hand to not face such hardship." She lowered her voice by a tempo. "As William Grafton's mistress, I will live a lavish and comfortable life. I will not be just some Rosalie who swam from God knows where. His name will be the weight of my name. They will take me seriously when I apply to be part of the grand performances, or better yet, I may become so well known that I could call on thousands to attend my solo performances. Imagine that. When I will ask him to purchase a piano for me, he will do it. Anything I need to sit above, to be high and mighty, will not be so impossible anymore."

With that, she pushed the door and exited. The coachman was at the ready to take her hand into his, assisting her to gracefully step down.

As soon as Agatha was standing next to Rosalie, the huge charcoal door opened to show off an old belly butler. A small steady smile graced his face as they approached him.