Chapter 18

Chip stayed with me the rest of the week while we "recovered from the flu." His roommate was amazing and constantly covered for him when the house staff came looking for him. My sleep has returned to me, but unfortunately, last night was the last time he could stay in the room with me. 

Gala returns this evening. 

And I know she'll have questions. Especially after lying to the police for me. 

The killer has been oddly silent since the email. Chip and I had spent the last couple of days trying to find more with the IP address, but until they decide to reach out or something else happens our hands are kind of tied. 

"Do you have to go back to your room?" I ask him sadly as his strong arms wrap around my body as I lay on his chest. "You can hide in the closet for the rest of the semester and sneak out when Gala goes to sleep." 

"Something tells me that wouldn't work out," he chuckles as he kisses the top of my head. "Mostly the fact when Gala goes into the closet to get clothes for school." 

I sigh dramatically as I lean up and kiss his cheek. We spent the day yesterday finishing our makeup work and making sure the room was clean and ready for Gala to return to. She's been in the hospital for a little over a week now as she recovered from the damages that the killer inflicted on her. She tried to come back to school several times, but apparently, her mother was insistent that she stay until most of the bruising and head traumas went away. 

My phone dings and I break out of Chip's arms and grab mine off the nightstand. 

T-minus twenty minutes until I return. Please for the love of God be outside waiting. I can't deal with my mother for another minute.

I smile. As sad as I am to see Chip return to his dorm, I am happy to see my best friend here come home. I've wanted to tell her about Chip and me. This is all so new to me, and having a girlfriend to talk to about it would make this learning curve so much easier. 

"Alright, cutie," I say leaning up and giving him a peck on the lips. "You have to get out of here. Gala will be back in twenty minutes and I've been requested to be downstairs waiting." 

He sighs and wraps me in a tight hug, and for a minute I wish I could freeze time. Just sit there with the boy who I'm rapidly falling for. 

Then I remember I'd also be freezing us in the same timeline as a killer trying to kill me and the moment disappears. 

"You need to call me if you can't sleep tonight," he says. "Promise?" 

"I promise," I say.

"And also tell me what happens with Gala," he says. 

He's been trying to help me piece together what to tell her since I brought it up to him a few days ago, but we never quite agreed on what to say. In the end, he told me he trusted my judgment, and if I trusted Gala so did he.  

I don't think he actually trusts her, but it's a start.

He kisses me on my head and gives me one last squeeze before he hops out of bed. He walks over to my desk and grabs his t-shirt off the back of the chair before throwing it on. He wears a pair of navy blue sweat joggers and a white v-neck. He grabs his backpack from the corner of the room and peers out into the hallway. He closes the door and runs over to give me one last kiss before he winks and disappears into the hallway. 

Elena, you're in trouble. 

I get up from the bed and rush into the bathroom. I quickly throw my hair into a ponytail before I run into the closet and throw on a simple red t-shirt dress. This will be the first time that I make an appearance back into Riveroak society since I've gotten "a bad case of the flu" so I don't have to look too perfect as I make my way down to the lobby and sit in one of the chairs.