Preface

Life is an ocean, and we're teaching you how to swim. My mother used to say that to me, joking about my name.

But that was back when we were a happy family. Back when Mother and Father were alive and together. Back when I was whole.

All of that had changed and while it started the day my parents died, it really gained speed the day my brother passed.

"Watch where you're going!"

"Sorry, excuse me,"

I stumbled through the crowd of people, squeezing towards the front, elbowing and pushing my way there. People cursed at me left and right but I didn't care. I needed to see it. I needed to know if it was true.

I finally reached the front.

It was true.

He was laying there on the floor, desperately grasping for breath.

I ran straight for him, hurtling the barriers the police had put up. I almost reached him but two police officers grabbed my arms and restrained me from him.

"No! Let go!" I thrashed against them, pulling with all my might.

"Ma'am, you need to calm down. We're all very sad as well but you need to restrain yourself!" one of the officers said into my ear.

"He's my brother!" I screamed, "Let me go!"

They let me go.

I stumbled forwards, collapsing beside him.

"Jacob you... imbecile!" I gasped.

"Oh come on Ocean, I'll be fine." he said, smiling slightly.

"No, no you won't Jacob! You idiot!" I said as harshly as I could muster through my tears.

"Look at me, look at me Ocean," He waited for me to look at him, "I knew this was dangerous, but I did it. You know why?"

I stared at him through tear filled eyes.

"Because nobody else would, because somebody needed to, but mostly because I could. Not many people can say the same Ocean. One day, you may need to take on this role, you might need to play the hero, you might need to die for other people to live."

I started crying again.

"I'm not gonna die Ocean, chill. But you need to understand that now. If I do die–not saying I will–a letter will come to you, maybe even a person if you're lucky. They're going to offer you a scholarship to a school, okay? You are going to accept that scholarship and go to the school no matter what. It's the same school I went to. They'll know my name. Tell them you're my sister. I love you, never forget one thing okay?"

I nodded

"Larazxia is your release"