Kovalskia, Analysis

Prologue

Kaela Kovalskia sat alone at a long table in a room with no windows in the heart of Yokosuka Naval Base. This wasn't the first time that she had sat there in that very same room - on that very same seat, even. That familiarity, however, offered her no comfort. Though the decorations of that room were ornate and handsome, and the lighting was bright and welcoming, shadows lingered over Kaela's red eyes.

As Kaela fretted about, Sergeant Sparrowhawk entered the room with a luncheon trolley.

"Sergeant." Kaela greeted her politely.

Sparrowhawk nodded and answered, "Madam."

They exchanged their pleasantries with little fanfare. Kaela watched Sparrowhawk place a cup and saucer before her. The sergeant then proceeded to place three more cups and saucers and poured coffee.

Kaela shifted in her seat, but before she could say anything, Sparrowhawk was already pouring the coffee into her cup.

Smooth black coffee sloshed into Kaela's up and her nose took in the aroma. Not one ounce of excitement filled Kaela's heart, however.

" This is gonna be cup number eight. " Kaela grumbled quietly.

She wanted to refuse the cup, but she just smiled and watched Sparrowhawk excuse herself.

" Hmm... " Kaela poked at her coffee. She looked at her own reflection in the rippling darkness and sighed, " Maybe I should start learning to say 'no' ."

The myriad of rings under her eyes told a story of an incredibly long day. She blinked often and felt herself drifting off where she sat, but the cup of coffee told her that her day was still far from over.

Right on cue, the doors of the room swung open. Kaela sipped her coffee and sat upright.

Anya Melfissa and Reine Pavolia, both wearing civilian clothes and IDSC lanyards, entered the room.

' Most people in KW1 would be overjoyed to have an audience with the beloved I.D.O.L. Frame pilots. It'd be a privilege and an opportunity of a lifetime for them. I've seen it with my own eyes. ' Kaela thought while she wore a practiced smile, " For me, though... I'm not looking forward to this meeting with them today. Not after everything that happened. "

Kaela stood up in attention and faced her 'guests' with a sharp salute.

"Good evening Miss Kovalskia." Reine spoke, returning the salute.

"Likewise." Anya saluted too.

The petite brunette lowered her hand and sauntered over to the center of the conference call table, fiddling with the computer there. That left Reine to gesture to Kaela, "Please, sit."

Kaela nodded awkwardly and did as she was told.

After a short while, the conference room's doors swung open again with much more force than before.

"Sorry I'm late!" Olivia Kureiji apologized, "The medical staff insisted on doing thorough check-ups on all the pilots. I only got out of mine now."

The third member of Strike Team ID2 appeared still wearing her IDSC terrestrial pilot kit. She had bandages on her face, on her arms and on her legs, but her expression remained confident and bright.

"Livia...?" Reine remarked with surprise, looking at the bandaged Olivia from head to toe, "Are you sure it's okay for you to be here?"

"We can handle the meeting for you if you need to rest up, Livia." Anya piped up too.