XXVIII. ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ ɢᴏɴᴇ

By the time the world suddenly seemed to brighten up again, Hyun-su's eyes opened. He slowly sat up, looking around the place he was in... almost as if he didn't know where he was.

Eun-yu walked forward, her hand still holding the locket that was inside her jacket's pocket. Tears spilt from her eyes at the scene in front of her.

Hyun-su turned his head to where Mr Han lay, now dead. There was no recognition in his eyes.

Hyun-su didn't know him. All he saw was just flashes of... was it his life? He didn't know, but he saw himself with the man.

Tears fell from Hyun-su's eyes, making the boy begin to speak. "Who is he? Why am I crying? My heart... is breaking."

Eun-yu didn't say anything. What could she say? She just stood there, tears continuing to fall down her cheeks and drop from her chin. 

Hyun-su stood up, his clothes burned horribly and barely staying on his body. He walked past Eun-yu, not even looking at her and leaving her behind with the body of Mr Han.

Hyun-su walked through the entire floor, trying to see if anything jogged his memory.

Small things did... like the shop and the stairs that were barricaded.

But none of the people were a familiar face to him.

He ended up walking down a corridor that seemed to be very clean. Reaching the end, he saw two people working on an injured girl, who had her eyes shut and her forehead sweating.

Hyun-su didn't recognise any of them.

The girl... she was beautiful. He felt his cheeks burning as he looked down at her passed-out form. He walked away only a few moments later, seeing as nothing down there had jogged his memory.

He eventually made it to an enclosed room, where he found a phone.

His phone.

Sitting down on a seat, next to a pool of blood on the floor, he began going through the phone.

At first, he didn't find much.

An email, saying he'd been chosen to be a tester for an upcoming game.

A number of contacts, such as his parents and a handful of names he didn't recognise.

Then he opened the gallery, where he found a number of pictures. Hyun-su stared at each image slowly.

Each was a selfie. 

And every single one was the same... yet different at the same time.

They were of him and a girl with brown bangs. Hyun-su recognised her... she was the girl who had been in that ward, passed out.

In every selfie, she was smiling happily, her teeth showing in her grin.

In the earliest ones, he was smiling slightly or not smiling at all. But with each selfie he saw, he noticed how his smile slowly grew in each picture.

"I'm not scared of you turning..."

"You're still my friend..."

"I love you too."

Hyun-su didn't know where those flashes of... his life came from, but each one showed the girl. In each one, she was looking at Hyun-su with a caring, but strong expression.

Did she love him?

Did he love her?

"Her name is Sung-hyo. Park Sung-hyo," a voice came. Hyun-su turned to the entrance to see Eun-yu. Her eyes were red from crying and she still had a tear rolling down her cheek. "She did everything she could to make sure you were seen. She really cared about you."

Hyun-su didn't say anything. He didn't know what to say, really.

Eun-yu then dug into her pocket, grabbing Hyun-su's hand with her free hand as she did so, "She said if anything were to happen to her, she wanted you to have this." Eun-yu placed in his hand what seemed to be a locket. Then, she stood up and left.

Hyun-su gazed at the locket in his hand, his other hand seeming to want to gently stroke the locket, as if it were made of glass.

Hyun-su saw a little bump on the side of the locket. Pushing it, the locket opened, revealing an image of the girl, Sung-hyo.

She was in a school uniform, smiling happily at the person who had been behind the camera. In her hands, she held a certificate and a pair of drumsticks.

Another flash.

It was Sung-hyo playing her drumsticks against the wall while listening to a song through her earphones.

Hyun-su was starting to hate how he couldn't remember this girl. 

She seemed amazing.

ᶠYͧoͨᵏu

Sung-hyo didn't wake up until the next morning.

She found herself in the hospital room, with Ji-ji sleeping with his head on the bed, holding her hand. Upon trying to sit up, she jolted Ji-ji awake, who immediately took in what was happening in front of him.

"Oh, thank God!" Ji-ji breathed out, before helping Sung-hyo sit up carefully. "Easy, easy. Your wound is still bad. Don't move too much."

"Where's Hyun-su?" Sung-hyo asked.

Ji-ji's mouth closed. He'd been told about Hyun-su's situation.

He couldn't tell Sung-hyo... it would rip her apart.

"Ji-ji, where's Hyun-su?" Sung-hyo repeated her question. "Is he okay?"

"He's fine," Ji-ji nodded. "But... Sung-hyo, he lost his memory."

Sung-hyo felt her heart break. "What?"

"He must've hit his head as he fell onto the ground," Ji-ji suggested. "He doesn't remember anything or anyone."

Sung-hyo's eyes were welling up with tears, her mouth wobbling. "So... he doesn't remember...?"

Ji-ji shook his head, quickly standing up and hugging his sister, who immediately began to sob and hold onto her brother tightly. Sung-hyo sobbed loudly, not caring if anyone heard her.

She just lost the love of her life... in a way no one else she knew had.

Just then, Eun-hyeok entered the room, looking at both of them in determination, but surprise.

"We found something," he said.

_____

Mills says!

I HATED writing this 😔😔😔

This entire episode broke me and I really hope Season 2 will fix me otherwise the producers of this show will be paying for my therapy.

One more chapter to go... and I'm not ready AT ALL!!