Chapter 50

Chapter 50: Astrid's Past

July 22nd.

We went to Astrid's apartment. Cattleya knocked on her door.

"Astrid! It's Cattleya!" She hollered, "Open up! I want to talk!"

"Go away!" Astrid hollered from inside, "I don't need anyone to talk!"

Cattleya clenched her fists as she started to bang on the door.

"Come on, Astrid! I know why you're acting like this in the first place!" She shouted as she continued banging on the door, "Your parents died, didn't they?! Why didn't you tell me that earlier?!"

Astrid then opened the door to reveal herself. She sighed.

"No need to get all dramatic, Cattleya." She said,

Cattleya then hugged Astrid. Astrid was a little uncomfortable.

"Oh thank Satan I'm happy that I can see your face again!" Cattleya said,

"Ok, let go of me." Astrid said, "Please!"

Cattleya let Astrid go.

"Sorry, sorry…" Cattleya said as she chuckled a bit, "I'm glad you still have a side of you that's able to see me again after so long!"

Astrid sighed again.

"Look, you guys want to know why I'm like this and why I'm doing this?" She asked us, "Then here, let me tell you, but you all better listen up!"

"Ok, ok, we will!" Cattleya said,

Astrid looked away in silence and then looked back at us.

"I used to have a family. Basically just me and my mom and dad." She said, "My mother was a scientist and my father was a journalist."

"What kinda scientist was your mother?" Boris wondered,

"I… I think she studied in… Computer science?"

"Computer science, ok…" Cattleya said, "What happened to them?"

"My father would then die from an illness he caught. My mother and I were heartbroken…"

"An illness…" Lars softly said,

"The doctors from Sloth didn't know what, but it was a mysterious one."

"Then what happened to your mother?" Willow asked,

"She was mysteriously killed by someone. I didn't know who exactly killed her, but I got the news from an old friend of mine that she was found dead on a highway."

I was silent for a moment. I felt bad for Astrid.

"We're sorry for your losses." I said,

"No, don't worry about it, I'm still gonna sulk in this burning feeling in me." Astrid said, "Please leave. I need to be alone."

"But since we helped you, can you reverse the hacking and not try to expose us?" Cattleya asked,

"...Get out."

"But Astrid–"

"--I said get out! Now!"

Cattleya sighed.

"Fine…" She said, "I don't even want to see you anymore in the first place… Some best friend you turned out to be."

Cattleya then walked out as she was about to cry. We looked at Astrid.

"Look at what you did!" Lars said, "She wanted to help you!"

"Can't believe you're doing this to people that are trying to help you." Willow said, "Even your own best friend that almost saved your life."

"Only because you're jealous of our success." Boris said,

"We're not here to compete." Selene said, "We're here to make a difference."

Astrid was silent as each of us, one by one left. I closed the door. Astrid groaned as she was frustrated.

"Damn it, what the hell is wrong with me?!" She said, "I guess them changing my heart is the only way out of this…"