Chapter Thirteen

Harry's eyes scan over the heads of the great hall as the first years are being sorted. But he can't concentrate. There is no sign of Rhiannon anywhere, not even Attila is here. He has a bad feeling, but all he's had all summer is bad feelings. He lets out a breath and glances back to the front of the hall.

"Where's Rhiannon?" Hermione asks. "I thought they'd bring her in with the first years to be sorted"

"McGonagall took her" Harry answers. "But I thought that too." They watch as the last of the first years are sorted but instead of McGonagall taking away the hat and stool as usual, she stays where she stood. Dumbledore stands to move closer to her.

"A few of you might have seen her already on the train" Dumbledore starts. "But Hogwarts is proud to introduce a fifth-year transfer student all the way from the north who will be joining us and continuing her education among us. Durmstrang's Triwizard champion, Rhiannon Grindlewald" He announces as the great hall doors open. She shakes her head as she walks into the hall, Attila following behind her. This did not have to be this dramatic. And from the look on Dumbledore's face, he knows it too. She glances at the Gryffindor table, directly at Harry and Hermione who smile reassuringly at her. She offers Harry a wink and a smirk before looking at the Slytherin table, they are talking among themselves. Already making a space for her. She scoffs and shakes her head. No way in hell is she going to Slytherin. She knows they are not all bad people, she's seen the good ones. But she tried, time and time again, the year before, to give the bad ones second chances. None of them changed. She gave them second and third chances. McGonagall motions to the stool when Rhiannon reaches, the young girl sets herself on the stool and takes a small breath, preparing herself. McGonagall lifts up the hat and then starts to lower it closer to Rhiannon's head. The hat has barely touched one single hair on her head before it knows exactly where she belongs and it is shouting it out to the rest of the hall.

"Hufflepuff!" Rhiannon raises an eyebrow and then slides off the stool. There is a sort of silence that settles over the hall before the Hufflepuff table are on their feet and cheering. Rhiannon realizes slightly and moves to join them, the fifth-years making space for her. Hufflepuff isn't so bad. She spoke to only a few last year, but they were always kind to her, never once looking at her as if she was Grindelwald's daughter. Plus Cedric. She liked him. One of the Hufflepuff girls from her year instantly stands and offers Rhiannon her hand, Rhiannon takes it.

"Hannah" She offers and shakes Rhiannon's hand with a smile. "And Ernie" She motions to her fellow fifth-year who waves from the table before introducing both Justin and Susan. Rhiannon smiles warmly at them and shakes each of their hands before she sits with them.

"To our newcomers" Dumbledore offers. "Welcome" He looks at Rhiannon and inclines his head, she inclines her head back as Attila sits on the floor behind her. "To our old hands....Welcome back. There is a time for speech-making, but this is not it. Tuck in!" Food then magically appears on all the table, Rhiannon stares at the sheer amount, she was always surprised last year, but she assumed they were trying to impress the visiting schools. But it seems that this is something normal for them. Durmstrang served food that was meant to keep the warm and the orphanage wasn't really all that much bothered about Rhiannon getting her fill when there were less weird and younger children to care for. But she might actually end up getting fat here.

..........

Once eveyone has finished eating, and then started talking, the noise level of the Great Hall rising with each passing moment, Dumbledore took the opportunity to stand to his feet again to talk to the students and faculty.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices" Dumbledore begins. "First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students, and a few of our older students ought to know by now too. Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr Filch's door. We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher" There is a round of fairly polite but unenthusiastic applause. "Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the..." He suddenly stops and turns to look at Umbridge who is now on her feet.

"Hem, hem" She offers. Dumbledore looks taken aback for a moment before he then sits back down. "Thank you, Headmaster. Now, how are we all doing tonight? I thought I would just say a few words. I am here at the Ministry of Magic's bequest, under Education Decree twenty-two, which states that if the Headmaster of Hogwarts is unable to fill any teaching post the Ministry shall select one for the position" Dumbledore inclines his head. "The Ministry has always considered the magical education of our children to be of vital importance, and the passing of this ancient and noble art must be given to the next generation, lest it be lost forever......Without progress, stagnation. But progress for progress's sake is to be discouraged, for our art requires no tinkering. A balance must be attained, the new and the old, permanence and change, tradition and innovation, order and chaos" Rhiannon frowns a little listening to this utter hogwash. "There are large changes coming soon, changes walking the fine line between order and chaos. Know only that these changes are for the best, and to prevent the destruction of our civilisation from its own decay. Thank you" Umbridge then moves back to her seat. allowing Dumbledore to stand again.

"Thank you very much, Professor Umbridge. Now – as I was saying, Quidditch tryouts will be held during this week, and is open to those in years two and above..." Dumbledore looks at Rhiannon, giving her a look, she frowns back at him. He is aware she is rather gifted at Quidditch and seen as Hufflepuff are down a man this year, he is trying to push her into joining them. She seems to realises and then nods a little. He then dismisses the student body from the hall. Rhiannon watches as Ron and Hermione show out first years of Gryffindor, Hermione gives her a smile, which is returned. Hannah and Ernie take the first years of Hufflepuff.

"Rhiannon" Susan starts as she stands. "Do you want me to show you the way?"

"I just want to..." She looks at Harry and then back at Susan who nods.

"I'll wait, just so I can show you how to get into the common room" Susan assures her. Rhiannon gives her a smile and then heads toward the Gryffindor table. Harry is leaning on the table, processing everything when Rhiannon takes the space beside him, his hand instantly finds hers and she leans into his side. He takes a breath and squeezes her hand.

"Are you disappointed that it's Hufflepuff?" He asks her, she shakes her head.

"No" She answers. "They were actually pretty nice to me last year...and to be honest, anything other than Slytherin, was going to be a win" He nods in agreement. "Hey, so I've actually been thinking about your whole sleeping thing" She whispers to him, leant close, he hums a little. "And I know it's been easier for you when you sneak into my bed" he nods in agreement because that is true. "And you can't get into the girls' dorms, right?"

"No" He answers.

"But the girls can get into yours?" He turns to look at her.

"Yeah" He draws out slightly, unsure where this is going, she presses a cold stone into his palm. He looks down at it.

"I worked some mist into this stone, and then put a communication rune onto it," She tells him. "Just press your wand to it, think of me....the mist will tell me, and I'll teleport to the Gryffindor common room"

"You're amazing," He tells her, she shrugs and smiles a little.

"I know" She agrees, he smirks at her. "Okay, I shouldn't keep Susan waiting" She motions to the Hufflepuff waiting at the table.

"Yeah, go enjoy your new home," He tells her, she smiles and kisses his cheek before she jumps up and heads to Susan, the two of them leaving the Great Hall together. Harry clutches at the stone in his hand.