Chapter Four

Versailles

                                                                                       August, 1683

"An invitation from the King." A footman approached Renet and her party, holding out a platter of invites. Each eagerly accepted one, murmuring in elation to one another. Renet opened hers, flicking over the contents. A ball tonight. It had been a near month since an official ball was held by the King himself, perhaps to distract the nobles of talk of the coming war, not that most of them seemed to be too alarmed of it, well, not any of the ladies Renet conversed amongst anyway.

"He shall dance with me tonight no doubt." One girl with a freckled face and dark hair enunciated. "Who, Eloise?" "Why the King of course." She declared. "Oh hush, if his Majesty had wanted to dance again with you Eloise, he would have done so already." Renet said callously. She herself had danced with the King on three separate occasions since her arrival at the palace, whereas Eloise had first arrived last year, she had only once danced with him, which according to anecdotes he had swapped partners soon after. Renet's remark resulted in the rest of the party taken aback, and caused Eloise to depart to her chambers, whether to get ready for the ball or to hide her upset from her utterance, Renet chose to believe the latter. "Why Renet, that was rather harsh, not?" "Oh come now Marie, don't be so poignant. It is true, was it not?" She smiled mirthlessly. Pardoning herself to prepare for the evening, Renet left her party and made her way to her chambers, only stopping when she became attentive of a presence behind her. "Yes, brother dear?" She piqued, turning around to face Francis. "You could have just spoken with me in my chambers, I am in rather a hurry you know." "Yes, I could have done so, but last time I did, you threw quite an affront about it. Banning myself and Alexander-who wasn't even there-from entering your chambers unless you requested it." He recalled amusingly. Renet narrowed her eyes on her older brother. "You just appeared in my room without making yourself known, all whilst I had company!" She hissed. "Ah yes. Jean Hugon was it? How is he by the way? I haven't seen him accompanying you for a while now." Francis smirked. Renet glowered, feeling her temper starting to wear thin the more Francis spoke. She knew both her brother got pleasure from mocking her, from a child to now, except now she learnt to surmount their childish remarks and infantile jests. "You really should not be so callous sister. Soon, others might start to think you have no heart." He guested with his head to where Renet and her party had gathered. She raised her head high, pursing her lips together. "I have a heart brother, but it is not filled with any warmth, as is yours. It is void, frozen forevermore and no longer serves a purpose to me." She seethed. "And you would do well to remember to not eavesdrop on private discussions." "And you my sister, would do well to remember to not to talk gossip where all are free to hear." And with that, he sauntered off, leaving Renet in a state of wrath and resentment. "Oh, and don't frown so much my dear sister, it's a terrible cause for wrinkles."

                                                                                                *

Music filled the air; an exceptional assortment of food and wine piled the large dining table. Nobles were adorned in their best refinements, some having been tailored just hours before, spirits were raised. If she were susceptible to pain, Renet's feet would have begun to ache, for she had danced the first set of dances non-stop, not once needing to pause and catch her breath-for she no longer had the need to breathe. From across the room, she spied that his Majesty sat at his own respective table, along with the queen and his brother. He had yet to dance with anyone, a few ladies had even been so bold enough as to present themselves to the King as he entered the room, but neither of the ladies had been Eloise, who had yet to arrive. Renet had not seen her since earlier that afternoon; after retiring to her chambers. Shrugging away the thought of the freckled girl, she turned her attention on a young courtier who asked if he could have the next two dances with her. Adrian Martinet; he was said to be of some relation to the Duke of Montpensier, making him admired among the ladies of the court. A man of handsome features and noble blood, Renet accepted his request and found herself in deep conversation with him. A few times she glimpsed Alexander with none other than Charlotte Carré, she had seen Francis earlier being cornered by two ladies but had not seen him since.