Chapter 16 - Clash of Azure and Lightning

Chapter 16: The mightiest dragon was useless (Ray, Sunrise Islands)

I didn't know what exactly I expected Kai to be before meeting him, but certainly not a nature enthusiast who rambled on about his drive to preserve beasts. He talked about how he was some higher being, and other people just didn't understand. The natural order was being fractured with majikk being so much stronger than beasts. Blah blah this blah blah that, I was tired of it.

But then he hit me with a line that caught my attention immediately. "I knew your father," he had said. First of all, it was the way he expressed his sentence in the past tense.

"Did you really have to accept his offer?" Dawn asked, snapping me back to reality. We were back wandering the underground after that 'highly eventful' conversation with Kai, hands empty. The sluggishness had begun to set in.

"You know I had to," I replied, "He mentioned information about my father, I'll take any chance I can get." He did, though it really wasn't anything deserving of a trophy with his name engraved, or anything I didn't already know. He said he knew my sword could've only been awakened by a dragon, and he wanted me to capture the dragon to make his plaything.

"Well, at least you struck him a counter-offer. The mightiest union leader of the underground. It was quite a sight to behold," Dawn said. And I had. With the most confident smile I could muster at that time, I told him I could get the dragon for him, but he would have to give me the information desired before I handed the dragon over, or I would tame it for myself.

I learnt a good number about the intelligence of underground union leaders that day since he took my word for it instantly. And now we were headed back to the guildhouse of Sunrise Island to prepare for a journey back into the woods.

"So, this... sunrise guild of yours. Is it really as good as they say?" Dawn asked.

"Wait, don't tell me you don't know about the guild. You've lived on the same island as me since birth AND you're an adventurer," I reply.

"Fam, I've been stuck in the castle my whole life, remember? When you caught me in the tavern, that was my first visit. And now you're bringing me back again, and I have no home to return to... I need to know what I'm getting myself into, y'know."

Something didn't quite add up about what Dawn said. I only met her on Crooked Street. But oh well, her words got my heart racing either way, and a smile crept its way onto my face. "Well, you'll just have to wait and see."

‐------------

"You idiot! idiot! idiot! are you stupid? huh? don't ever do that again! ever ever ever! idiot!" For such a talented adventurer like herself, Emili sure had a limited range of vocabulary. Though I couldn't help but grin when I saw her safe and alive as soon as I stepped into the guildhouse. Alisa stood idly by, though I saw her heave an evident sigh of relief. "We were all worried about you, Ray," she exclaimed, "Knowing you're in no way capable of taking care of yourself."

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to drag you into anything," I apologize, patting Emili's head lightly. I had long since lost track of time, but it felt like forever since I headed off with her into Monstrum Woods. Since then I had walked toe to toe with a princess and come face first with the most fearsome union leader of the underground.

"Whatever it is, I can do it with you," Emili adds, pouting, "And WHO the hell did you bring into our guildhouse." A stern glare was shot at Dawn, who, from the look on her face, clearly wanted nothing to do with the messy reunion I was having.

"That's Princess Dawn," I say. A moment of recognition crossed Emili's face in an instant and she kept her mouth shut.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Dawn says, sarcasm dripping from her tone.